Sids

How many people used a SIDS mat for their infant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:57 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• They advise you NOT to use those mats. I remember reading somewhere (not sure where) that SIDS is sometimes caused by something in the brain that doesn't allow the baby to process oxygen very well. They suggest that you keep something in the room to move the air, be it a fan or a humidifier. Since babies breath shallow, the moving air keeps them from breathing (as my daughter calls it) "already breathed air".
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:41 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• They help lessen the risk of sids but it doesn't not PREVENT sids. I never used a sids mat.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 8:24 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I used one and my baby didn't die of SIDs,(she is now 17 months and in a toddler bed) but I don't know if the mat had anything to do with it. It did make me feel better knowing she couldn't roll around. Also she has trouble with stuffy noses and she seemed to not cough as much when she was sleeping with it. If your baby will sleep in it why not use it? If not I don't think it is going to change the chances of SIDS death. I think SIDS is one of those things if it is going to happen it doesn't matter what you do or don't do you wont stop it from happening.
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 9:14 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• The newest issue of American Baby warned AGAINST using any form of SIDs mat, baby wedge or similar products. Their study suggested that babies who sleep on/with such item actually have an increased chance of dying from SIDs or suffocation. Also since the most recent medical studies suggest that SIDs is caused by a neurelogical disorder I don't really see how the mats would help anyway.
    Skipo510

Answer by Skipo510 at 9:30 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• what is a SIDS mat?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:10 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Its a mat with side so baby can't roll over. Most baby sections have them. I bought mine at wal-mart, but someone gave me one with my first kid. They cost about 10-25 dollars. Depending on which one you get, but they all protect baby's from SIDS.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:17 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• A friend of mine did what all the doc's said and used a sids mat and her baby still died of sids. Sometimes it just happens.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 8:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• That's sad, My baby cousin died from sids when I was younger. They did everything too, but I'm not sure if SID mats were available then or not.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:25 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Never heard of them so, no, I didn't use them with any of my 5 kids.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:58 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Something like that is not going to help, it is only going to make the baby uncomfortable.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:43 PM on Apr. 5, 2011