Do you worry about your daughter reading about size 0

research is showing girs as young as 7 are starting to worry about there weight and i'm not talking about over weight children's research is also saying  eating disorder can effect much more children's and if starting at much younger ages .

ever women and teen  magazine cover seams to all have the word diet on it ,  magazine have pages in them of stars looking a bit fat or showing a bit cellulite . and on front cover there star and models looking like this

and yes i do agree that  being over weight is bad for you heath so we do need to try to keep are self's  at a good weight . but I'm amassed how Meany magazines talk about the danger of being very over weight but i never seen any talk about the danger of being underweight and yes i do know some women are just this  skinny because they were born like that

but what your think about all the press on supper skinny start and diets?

i personal don't want my girl reading any of this stuff

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:02 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• I read that in the 80's,an average model was 5'9 and 135 lbs
    now one is still 5'9,but 105 lbs!
    Its crazy what is considered beautiful now in magazines
    My 22 yr old cousin says that women her age,regardless of height,are aiming for weights under 100 lbs

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• As a woman who has suffered from bulimia, I can honestly say that it was not the media that made me insecure. It was my peers. I went to a private school full of rich kids for awhile and they used to laugh at me and say such hurtful things because I was in size eleven jeans and medium shirts. They would say things in front of the teachers and the teachers did NOTHING! No one listened. No one told me I was beautiful. No one gave me what I needed to hear. So I have vowed to tell all my children, boys or girls, every day how pretty/handsome they are. I still struggle with my self image because I had no support system. I won't let that happen to my kids. I will always be there to tell them that the only opinion that matters is their own and that if they're happy with themselves they shouldn't let anyone make them feel otherwise. In the words of Eleanore Roosevelt, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 8:42 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• your daughter should be able to view the world at a normal prospective not one that is unreal. she should feel beautiful no matter how she looks.
    ajmcheath

Answer by ajmcheath at 8:06 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Yes I struggled with an eating disorder when in High school so I will talk to her about things like that and hope she won't head down that road but if she does we'll overcome it. I struggle everyday still with me weight but having 2 daughters who look up to me I manage to stay away from my old habits even though old habits die hard its easier now that I'm a mommy.
    bree_gabys_mom

Answer by bree_gabys_mom at 8:12 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Yes, having 2 daughters I worry about this a lot. It's not just weight though, it's over all self esteem and being comfortable with who they are. I have a 2 year old daughter and another on the way and I have already started buying self esteem books for young girls. I think boys have image problems too though... it's just really important for us as parents to help build our children's self esteem and help them live healthy lives.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 8:11 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I hope taht I will give my daughter enough confidence to be comfortable with her body no matter how she looks. She is soild, and heavy, but still skinny (if that makes any sense). I don't like that magazines put these images out there. These women aren't healthy.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 8:24 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Oh yeah, I forgot to add that as a mom of 2 girls.... I have pleadged NEVER call myself fat of put down my own looks ever again. If I want my girls to be confident about their body, I am their biggest role model.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 8:15 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• my daughter never seen or read this stuff i just mean with the world becoming obsessed with women being skinner and skinner

and there being more media for are kids to look at be it tv ,  internet magazine . shoudl be be worried about what are younge girls are learning from this

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:10 PM on Apr. 5, 2011