Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where are the teachers?

Hi!! I have my BA in International Business and I'm ready for a career change. I would love to become a professor. My question is, can I just get my Masters in Education or do I need to start at the beginning.? Thanks,


Asked by mommyg24 at 8:04 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 13 (1,241 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • Cont.. Once you decide what you want to teach, look for a good university that offers that program. I suggest to help you find a school with the program that you want. Once you have obtained your degree, then you can start apply to the community colleges and/or technical schools. You may even want to consider a state college or university as an adjunct professor (this is a part time or as needed type position). It will help you get your foot in the door. In order to move up from there, you will need to further your education by obtaining completely a PH. D in your chosen field.

    Answer by JeremysMom at 8:25 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

  • Seriously.. I was looking for advice not a smart comment. I have extensive knowledge in my current field and tons of experience volunteering at my kids school. It would not be a problem for me to put in my work!!

    Comment by mommyg24 (original poster) at 8:15 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

  • What type of classes do you want to teach? If you want to teach business classes then you will need at minimum a Masters in Business. If you want to teach history then you will need a Master's in History. Check out some of the college website's that you are interested in teaching at. I would recommend starting at the community college or a technical college. Most colleges like that only require a Master's degree with 18 hours of emphasis on the subject that you want to teach.  Cont..


    Answer by JeremysMom at 8:24 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

  • Seriously?! You just want to start at the top?! Most college professors WORK THEIR WAY UP, and hold Ph.D.s in their chosen profession/academic specialty! The majority have written papers that have been published in widely circulated magazines, have been involved in academic research, and so on! :o)

    You will need some actual experience and a track record before you can apply for a "top spot" in education! :o)

    Even elementary school principals need at minimum a Master's Degree in education, completed their Principalship course of instruction AND have actually TAUGHT elementary school!

    Answer by LoriKeet at 8:11 PM on Apr. 5, 2011