Bugs in a new apartment oh no!

my friend just moved into a new apartment. she has been there less then a week and she has meet the bugs. the new landlord say oh no you brought them with you. The exterminator has been out twice and even gone back to there old apartment (no bugs). They are in a lease. Bug problem is really bad and a next door neighbor confirmed they had bugs too. Do they have rights? can they move out?

the bugs are roaches and it is so bad she has contacted the local heath department

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Health

• Ewww, I sure empathize with your friend, but I don't know what rights she might have so Imma give you a bump up. GL to your friend
    pocmom

Answer by pocmom at 8:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Eww, well I hope they have rights! I wouldn't wanna live there either!
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 8:14 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• If they are roaches, get some borax acid and mix it with sugar. The roaches will eat it and die. It is cheap and chaches are the roaches have grown immune to the stuff the apartment complex is using
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 8:16 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Read the lease and see if it adresses this. They could also call a couple of lawyers and ask about a first time complimentary consultation. Many offer them.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• She does have rights, and can move...but the bugs will move with her! It is a TOUGH problem. Have her bomb the place with Kill A Bug foggers 9 these work the best, then repeat every 2 weeks for 2 months. Get a riddex too. :( Kill Abug costs about $5 for 4, and she wants to put one in EVERY room, with the cabinet andcloset doors open.

Good luck, and my deepest sympathy to you friend.
    caribassett

Answer by caribassett at 8:28 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Have them look over the copy of their lease, many leases will contain parts that specifies what the resident’s responsibility is in terms of pest control treatment. For example, the lease may state that the resident agrees to comply with any pest control preparation requirements such as moving or discarding personal property inside the unit or vacating the premises if necessary. Usually the management is obliged to spray or preform some form of eradication to fix the problem a certain number of times per annual period.It does vary from State to State though. I assume we are talking about roaches right? Be aware that the landlord may be able to charge the resident for the cost to treat the unit if it is determined that the resident is responsible for the infestation.
    pinwheel

Answer by pinwheel at 8:30 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• they should have a copy of the lease and they should read over it with a fine tooth comb there has to be something in there about pest control. But i would deff think they have rights but they need to go about it the right way have a major paper trail and document everything even take pics that way when they fight if they are not just offering there word
    AmandaV.

Answer by AmandaV. at 8:45 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• There has to be a number to call. Can you call the city this is in and ask them who to call with landlord issues? I would do that.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 9:41 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• from being a landlord, unless its addressed in the lease, nope... they are in a lease and stay there. unless it is deemed "inhabitable"... what kind of bugs are they?
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:30 PM on Apr. 6, 2011