Meal Planning

We have been discussing meal planning at The Juicy Bunch. I was wondering what are your meal planning tips and techniques? Do you utilize rollover meals I.E. tacos day 1 taco salad day 2, or do you cook in bulk then freeze, etc. ?

caribassett

Asked by caribassett at 8:25 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Food & Drink

• We have leftovers if I made too much. I don't make ahead, I don't like the taste of it after it's been frozen.. I guess I'm just picky..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:28 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• We never have leftovers. Ever. I make one main food (meat usually), 2 sides, and 1 dessert. I buy the meat in bulk, though. I separate it when I get home from the store, put one of each kind in the fridge, and freeze the rest. We only spend about 150 a week for 3 meals a day for 5 people (minus school days then its 2 people for breakfast and lunch).
    I also use allrecipe.com's menu planner and they compile my shopping list for me so I never overbuy.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 8:32 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I like to have leftovers and then we eat them for lunch, we rarely have anything go bad and right now there are only 2 of us. My daughter is still EBF as she is 5 months old.
    08MrsAllen

Answer by 08MrsAllen at 8:32 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• If we have enough left over that can be used for another meal, which we rarely do, I try and use it for lunch the next day. We always have plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables so it is hard to freeze that. I do daycare and the government regulates what I need to feed them at each meal 4-6 times a day. I am careful where I buy my foods and am price conscious.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 8:37 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I love roll over meals. I will do a whole chicken and then make either a ceasar salad the next day or a chicken pot pie but I usually have some left over from there to make chicken salad with mayo and onions and stuff for sandwiches for lunch too. I also will make meals I can freeze and cook during the week. Pot pies are good for that too.

Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 10:30 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I don't do rollover. I usually separate my meat into meal size portions when I get in home from the store & freeze it. For example, in most ground beef recipes I use only 1/2 lb instead of a whole lb b/c we are a family of 3 and only eat that much at one time. So I freeze it in 1/2 lb portions. I plan out what meals we're gonna eat for the week so that I make sure to buy everything I need for the week at the grocery store. When I make spaghetti sauce I freeze whatever is left that we don't eat so that I can use it for another night of spaghetti. I do the same w/ homemade soups.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 10:48 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I buy in bulk & separate and freeze
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I've been using a web site called Food on the Table . com
    It incorporates sales from your local grocery stores, gives you recipes based on sale items, then you create your meal plan and...
    drumroll....
    it send the gro list to your iPhone or email. SO Helpful.

Freezing is a big time saver too! I will buy chicken in bulk and make all sorts of different chicken recipes in one week (you can make chicken taste completely different)
    Kennedy30

Answer by Kennedy30 at 3:24 PM on Apr. 7, 2011