Baby Sign Language

How many of you taught or are teaching your babies sign language. Why or why not. If you are, what materials helped the most in completing this goal. What has been your experience so far and how old is your child.

britni11

Asked by britni11 at 10:51 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think sign language is the greatest thing ever :))

Our daughter is 17months old (in a few days) and i didnt hear about this sign language until a couple months ago (shame on me!).. its not that popular in germany yet..

Well we didnt really get to use/learn it anymore, because my daughter already understands more than i thought she would at this age and i understand her perfect. So there is no need to learn it anymore... for us.

But every other mom, with a younger baby i would totally recommend it... xD
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 10:57 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• A friend of mine tried this out with her oldest son when he was a baby and he picked it up ok....the only problem was that he couldn't talk as soon as most kids his age.

I never did this with my children. I didn't really see the need. I was able to tell what it was that my child wanted or needed.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:03 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I used it with my son who is now six. His verbals were always ahead, never delayed. It came in really handy during his word explosions when his brain went faster than his mouth and everything got garbled. We used it along with speech we never used it alone. When we signed we also spoke the word we were signing. We have since switched to ASL(American Sign Language) and will only use the signs from ASL with our daughter due in April. That way he can use it with her without confusion.
    graybugsmom

Answer by graybugsmom at 11:22 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• my 21 month old knows over 30 signs AND has a vocabulary (spoken verbal, not signing) of over 3000 words (according to the AQS and other assessments). there are some studies that say signing can delay language a bit, but it actually improves iq when a child knows another language. i have never used baby signs, they are offensive to teh deaf community. i only use ASL. a GREAT sight is www.lifeprint.com. there are videos of how to do the signs, free lessons and quizzes, finger spelling, etc.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 11:27 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• wow...I didn't realize that baby signs were different from regular ones. I want to teach my son the right way if anyway at all. To me that would be the same as teaching your child to speak baby talk rather than speak in regular English. Thanks for all the info, keep it coming ladies!
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 11:41 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• My kids and I find it fun. I use it when I am talking with little words here and there. If it were to backtrack their speach I wouldnt use it though. Its really just fun to know!
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 11:56 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• My son is 5 months old and picking up American Sign Language quickly.

In my case, it is actually needed. I am a CODA(Child Of Deaf Adults) and he
    needs to learn how to sign in order to communicate with his grandparents. It is
    easy, seeing as how I have an advantage. All you do is perform the sign and show
    your baby whatever it is that the sign means. Example: perform the sign for milk;
    then give the baby his bottle. This goes for most other signs also.

I was signing before I could speak. If it were not for MY grandparents who are hearing, then I would not have learned how to speak. You have to associate your child with both sign and spoken word. I was brought up in both the deaf community and the hearing. I love signing with my baby and hope he will become as passionate about it later on in life as I have become.
    McKnight_Mom

Answer by McKnight_Mom at 12:39 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• My sister is deaf. When my kids started sitting up, we began with simple signs like "more", "finished", "bath" and "sleep"
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 1:09 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• My cousin is the same age as my sister (who is deaf) and he learned sign language right alongside her and didn't talk right away (as with many boys) but talked FINE and is a great signer, as well.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 1:10 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• ah sorry, one more thing-
    This (teaching my kids ASL as babies) helped a lot because when they are unable to speak, and for example begin crying in the high chair, they could be hungry for "more" or "done" and ready to get out of the chair and play which mama can figure out eventually, but to help give them a name and way to communicate this helps with their I.Q., yes and lets them communicate with Grandma, Daddy, and others who may not know what mama knows, and gives baby a way to be understood right away.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 1:13 AM on Nov. 30, 2008