When cooking pasta do you add a little olive oil to the water?

Does it really help prevent sticking? Any benefit that you can see to adding olive oil?

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 8:28 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I used to until I read adding oil prevents the sauce from sticking to the pasta.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:30 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I don't add it to the water, I add it to the noodles after I have drained them.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Yes, it adds flavor and prevents sticking. For me, it doesn't reduce the starchiness of the pasta and the sauce still sticks nicely as long as you don't rinse it after it is drained.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 8:33 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I use margarine. I'm not a big fan of olive oil.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 8:35 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Pasta is generally all starch so adding a little oil to the water will cut the stickiness as starch will stick to other startchy things very easily. Adding too much though will drench the pasta and then you get the problem of the sauce sticking properly. You don't need much, usually just a teaspoon will do it.
    pinwheel

Answer by pinwheel at 8:35 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• NO!! NEVER!!!!! Stirring the pasta occasionally will keep it from sticking, as will boiling water. Sauce will not stick to pasta that has oil in the water and it ruins the taste and texture of the pasta. My Italian Nana would roll over in her grave and haunt me if I put oil in the pasta water.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:37 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• It doesn't take much, just a tiny drop is alll I use.
    allen.moriahd

Answer by allen.moriahd at 8:52 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• i add vegetable old to help them from sticking together
    mother3620

Answer by mother3620 at 8:57 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Olive oil, no. Vegetable oil yes. I cook with it, and my husband cooks without it. HIS noodles stick more than mine do.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:05 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I add olive oil to pasta while its cooking and when I its done its delicious, its fluffy and moist
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 9:43 PM on Apr. 5, 2011