How much to furnish new home?

We are saving money right now to move out of my moms (so we have *NO* furniture) and into our own 1st home.

We will move out with our clothes. and a desk pretty much lol...
How much money should we save to furnish a home?!
I dont want to buy stuff until we move in since we can buy a little more specific to the house if we wait. (and i think our family is going to help us a bit, but id rather be safe than sorry & not depend on what we could get off family)
Our house will most likely be a 3bedroom 1 story house. Me, DH &4yo DD.
We wont be going for top of line stuff.. But Im not buying trash that is going to break in 2 years. KWIM?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I furnished a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home with all new furniture with $6000.00. That was 4 bedroom sets, new mattresses, couch, loveseat, 2 end tables,1 coffee table, 2 new lamps, a new TV, and curtains and bedding for all of the rooms. I did my homework, and thought I did pretty well.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:41 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Its so nice having new stuff. You could get just the basics for $5000 or so. Depends on where in between trash and over the top.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:06 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Do you have any of DD's furniture? You can probably go discount furniture 1000 bedroom, another 1-2k living, kitchen tables to be honest I'd go to Craigslist. Dressers you could do the same, I just got a great dresser off craigslist for my DD. Got her a canopy bed off there a couple years ago too. i've had a hard time finding an adult bedroom set on craigslist though. we got a hand me down dining room/kitchen table and i bought our chairs @ salvation army for 6$ a piece.
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 9:10 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• don't spend more than 75% of what your house is worth. Some Ins. Co's will not cover more than that.
    Buy the best that you can afford and what you really really want. Your furniture should be seen as a long term investment, something you can give your kids.
    Only the rich can afford cheap furniture, buy really good quality stuff and enjoy it for lifetimes. Get what you have to have second hand, and gradually replace it with what you really want. GL
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:26 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Have someone in your family or a close friend throw you a house warming party.. That will help with towels, dishes etc.. Rooms to go or the room store is really good on sale prices.. You can also check the classified ads. People are moving up all the time and you can find some good deals.. I bought a 7 piece dinning room set today for less than 900.00.. I already had the hutch. You can also check out discount furniture places. I bought my microfiber coco sectional last year for 1300.00.. Look around, you will find it :)

Unless you have alot of income coming in.. do not finance.. You can end up house poor paying for the house and all the furniture :)
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:30 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I would say at least $5,000+ new.  Try to look into estate sales you might some good bargains. GL

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:01 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I would check out craigslist, we got some good furniture on there. Look around before you buy if you are buying new, it never hurts to offer a lower price.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 2:40 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• If you have an IKEA near by spend some time wandering around and then write down prices. You can do the whole house there. I love IKEA sheets but their towles I don't care for much
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 9:15 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Dd's room-- Im unsure .. My MIL bought the crib/bed convertible.. But my mom bought the frame/matress she is using now. and my mom bought the furniture that is in her room. She said the furniture was for my dd, but that doesnt mean she will actually let us leave with it. So id rather plan that we will have to get dd her own bedroom suit.
    --My mom isnt crazy about us moving out. She has already made it CLEAR my bedroom furniture I have in my room (that she bought me when i was 16) is staying here -- totally understandable. She would end up with 2 empty rooms if we took the furniture we have been using.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:15 PM on Apr. 5, 2011