Do you own your own business?

The hubby and I are looking into owning our own bait shop that I will run while he's working for fish and wildlife. I am extremely excited but a little nervous because I don't know what to expect. Financially we can launch it and afford to have the first 6 months be "non profitable" . We also have a location and the perfect land to start this business on. Do you have a success story with owning your own business?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Money & Work

• Just realize that it takes a lot of time, effort and patience and money wise, it really doesn't pay off for several years. It's very slow going, but it's also a lot of fun. Once you get to the point where you can actually afford to hire people to work for you, while you enjoy the profits, then it's fun!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:44 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I agree with m-avi. How about starting slow with a bait stand? Then you can avoid the overhead of the physical location. You can test your product mix before getting the larger store and establish a customer base. See if you can find a place where you can put up a canopy; if so this could be an option for you... Best of luck!
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 10:18 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Write a business plan before you go any further

Answer by rkoloms at 10:33 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Yes, but from home...not in a "shop".
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 11:15 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• its hard work but as long as you have a plan you should be fine.. when i started my business i was fine because it was just me but when i hired i had a few months of nothing but now ive caught up to have two girls plus myself and is working.. i try not to have prices high but since they arent way high we dont make much individually
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 6:41 PM on Apr. 6, 2011