STRESSED

Just need to vent!!! I am starting to become sooooooo stressed about not being able to find a job SO is the only one working and things have been OKAY but now it is getting to the point where I REALLY need to find a job...I feel like I am getting soooo depressed but I try to maintain while my daughter and SO are around. I feel like none of my friends really understand bc they are single and no kids and I am the only one with a family so I think sometimes they feel as if my life is better because of my situation. Then it gets so frustrating because recently we tried to apply for assistance but according to rules/regulations SO makes too much. I have applied I feel like everywhere but nothing comes through! *SIGH* I could go on FOREVER and EVER but I won't complain just needed to vent before I lose my mind. Thanks for listening! =)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Money & Work

• There are very few companies that are working mom friendly. Given the terrible economy out there, it's even worst. Don't give up, keep on trying. what type of work are you looking for? Perhaps have someone in your field who has had success look over your resume, if you have a connection. Try your church, local community college, they often offer free services. Good luck
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 9:10 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Thanks for the response =) I had my resume critiqued at a local community college to help advance job leads so hopefully something will come from it. My field of work is Mental Health/Psychology.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:20 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I'm sorry Momma.... the economy is so horrible I know people with college degrees that can't even get a job at a fast food restaurant....GL! Imhope you find what you are looking for!

June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 9:20 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• i work FT but was in your shoes not too long ago...it took me 4mos tofind a job...I was losing my mind! Try to be patient and occupy yourself with other thingsbesides the job search. I am a CnAand usuallythesejobs are easyto find like a few days easy so a few months was awful! Work gaps if you have one makes it even harder....
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 9:28 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• @June_Mama thanks, yeah it seems like my degrees are so irrelevant! @Hill CONGRATS yeah I will have been unemployed for 5 months this month...

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• The unemployment rate keeps going up and it is very discouraging. I do have a few suggestions, though (I do career and job search coaching).
    Number 1 is networking; Cafemom is a start, but you need to actively seek out people and groups that can help you meet people who can connect you to someone hiring. Less the half of the available positions are posted on the job boards; you need to get out and find the others. A profile on Linkedin is a must!
    Number 2 is having a great "elevator speech". This is a 15 second introduction on who you are and what you are looking for.
    Number 3 is a great resume that tells the reader who you are, what you can do, what you have accomplished, and how you can help.
    Number 4 is great coverletters tailored to the position/company.
    Number 5 is using one of the meta search sites, like Indeed or Simply Hired, to comb the job boards for you.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:32 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Mental health/psychology, uh? That is not an easy field to find work. Here's another suggestion. Either go to a psychologist office or a hospital, have your resume ready and a one page succient cover letter ready, addressed to the OWNER, or the head of the psycology at the hospital. If your finance allows it, offer to do a few months of free internship with them. People often can't refuse free, esp free capable hands. Once you have done that, you not only make the connection with people in that field, they know your work, know you (i.e. more likely to hire you than some stranger), and if nothing comes out of it, you can at least put that as a practical and very relevant experience on your resume.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 10:54 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Believe me I feel your pain. My teenage daughter has been looking for a job for months to help pay for her insurance/gas for back and forth to school.

There are several ways to make extra money while you search for a FT job, none of them will be an "instant rich" fix of course. Anything worth doing will take some work on your part so dont' get discouraged if you don't see immediate results in anything you decide to try. I have a few companies that I will recommend, you can see the list and details Here

customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 10:41 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Thanks so much rkoloms for the very USEFUL information I took notes!! Customcat thanks a lot too I have grown way too tired of the scams with work at home so I will def. check it out!! Thanks so much ladies. I feel like today was a bit more productive I applied for ever and anything possible!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2011