Plus Size mommas & the gym...

If you are really overweight (need to lose 60+lbs) and go to the gym...
How do you do it?
Do you feel like you are being looked at/judged?
What do you wear?
What is your routine?
Do you use a gym trainer? How much did they push you?

I am 220lbs & need to lose about 80s. But I have anxiety.. And I fear people judging me! And I feel stupid & lost at the gym (ok i only went once b/c of this!)....
But obviously Im NOT losing weight alone at home. I cant find the time. Im always tired & too depressed to get off my butt..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Everyone is there for the same reason. No one is judging you if anything they are happy for you. I need to lose 50lbs I wear sweat and a t shirt. Nothing tight I am too self conscious for that. I dnt use a trainer I go by myself. I usually go on the treadmill sometimes I will use the dumbbells.
    vjoaquin

Answer by vjoaquin at 11:01 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I get in there and do my business I am in there for two hours and leave never think about other people or care are they going to lose the weight for me? No they can laugh and point and do whatever but I am there for me and who cares what they do or think. I wear sweats or Nike shorts. I have fifty pounds to lose but at one time had 450 so I walked or played soccer until I could get around without breathing heavy now I am working on the fifty its all good.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:17 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Just make sure that if you join GOLDS GYM you know your signing a two year contract and you can't get out of it! I highly suggest avoiding GOLDS GYM .
    Anonymous

• I was 210 pounds when I joined the YMCA and went like I was supposed to ...before ya know it I was 170!!!! Once u get past the first 2 week hump....they are tough but FORCE urself to go...it's not an option....go and do ur full workout....after 2 weeks, u will start to look forward to the workouts cause they make u feel good and if u have to miss one,, you will really miss the energy rush u get...i used to make myself go even when i was tired and i would leave feeling soooo good.
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 1:38 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I'm right there with ya! I feel the same way when I go to the gym. I started walking on my own with my baby in a stroller. I would go early in the morning or late at night when not many people were out. After I lost a few pounds I was able to go to the gym and not feel so bd like everyone was staring. I also went to curves & I was by far not the nost out of shape person there, but I am not a huge fan of the circuit training thing.
    Good Luck!
    shareleann

Answer by shareleann at 9:27 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I go to the gym for ME, not for the other people working out. I started my weight loss journey at 269 lbs. I'm now 211, with more to lose.
    A personal trainer is a GREAT way to go if you can afford it. They really push you to get to the right intensity level, and they can show you exercises you might not have ever though of. Plus, being accountable to someone who expects you to be there is great motivation! I wish I could afford a trainer.
    I just wear what's comfortable. Now I wear a moisture-wicking tee and shorts or pants. If people look they look. Their issue, not mine. I'm not working out to show off for them, I'm doing it to get healthy and feel good about MYSELF. Remember WHY you're doing this!!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:53 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I have the same problem. I guess the only thing I can say is maybe go when there is not really a lot people there.

But if that is not good for you then when I did go to the gym I just took a breath before I went in there and remembered why I was there.
    I just wore shorts and a shirt.
    jnb71584

Answer by jnb71584 at 9:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I am 135 lbs. I go to the gym all the time and I work out with a girl who was 210lbs when we started. She is now 175 and doing awesome. We walk on the treadmill when we first get there, fast walk. Then we concentrate on one area. We have never over strained ourselves but stop when we start feeling exhausted. We end our workouts with a cool down walk again on the treadmill. I should mention, I met my friend at this gym. She got on the treadmill next to me and we love our workout dates! Nobody has EVER judged us or looked at us in a demeaning manner.
    Anonymous

• I could only do it at Curves to be honest. Not all of them are like the ones I went to, I know, but once you get to know the ladies you have so much fun and everyone is there to support you and happy when you make your goals. I can't do gyms. For me, it's too impersonal and, yes, it feels like everyone's looking at you and no one talks to you. I'd go for a month and still know NO ONE and end up quitting. But, I'd also have to say I have social anxiety too. Curves even had a hump to overcome, but after I got to know people I looked forward to going. Just wish I had the money to re-join now. :(
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 6:21 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Ive looked into curves.. but dont want to spend the money & be in such a small group.. We have a fitness connection in our area. $10/mo. open 24hrs! Me & DH both would join...
    We joined YMCA 2yrs ago. Went & learned the equipment & never went back....Our YMCA room was small.. so im hoping a bigger place will help me feel a lil more comfortable. Maybe I can stick to the places where less people are lol.
    My hubby on the other hand doesnt care about anyones opinion. Wish he could give me just a teacup of that attitude!

On a good day I think "ok we can join today. screw everyone. this is for me".. but other days im struck with fear of how bad it could all go & worry about how many skinny people who use to know me I may run into ...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:35 AM on Apr. 6, 2011