Middle of the night 'crazies.'

My 13 month old son has started waking up at 4:30 am. It seems that all he wants to do is hang out and play for an hour or so. This is fine... except at 4:30 i am pretty sleepy. My son has been an excellent sleeper for months, usually he will sleep from 8pm-7am and occasionally wakes up for a bottle of water at 3:00am and puts himself back to sleep.
Is it common for kids to start waking up early for seemingly no apparent reason- what can i do to try to get him back to sleep right away?

bloomsr

Asked by bloomsr at 11:11 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• make sure he is ok, give him a book, lay him in bed and explain to him that it is the middle of the night, everyone is sleeping and that he needs to go back to sleep. He can look at the book for a little while but that he needs to be quiet because you are going back to bed. That is what I do sometimes, good luck.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 12:00 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Have you tried keeping him up later so he'll sleep later? Looks like he's getting 11 hrs of sleep straight, which is good though.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:01 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I would just leave him alone and let him hang out. He'll hopefully go back to sleep on his own. He may have gotten used to getting water at 3 a.m. and thinks if he gets up to play, you'll get up to play too. Check out Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Dr. Marc Weissbluth.

Also, the whole "keeping them up later to help them sleep later" doesn't work. In fact, often times it backfires. If anything an earlier bed time might help. Believe it or not it works.

I have two year old twin boys and followed the Healthy Sleep Habits book. It works for us.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:28 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Its true - anytime I keep my son up later for him to sleep longer, he always gets up earlier and its a fight the rest of the day. I have that book of the healthy sleep habits and it's great. good luck
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:04 PM on Nov. 30, 2008