What can I do to help my 2 1/2 year old sleep during our 5 hour plane ride?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why would you want him/her to sleep? My daughter is two and a half and LOVES going on planes. We've done trips of up to 22 hours, and never worried if the kids slept or not. Just take a little carry-on bag including a favourite small toy, a couple of little books, colouring book and pencils, and if you can afford it, something new and novel. Finger puppets are ideal as they are cheap to buy, tiny to pack, and provide hours of entertainment for a child this age. If you are intent on making him/her sleep, promethazine works and will also alleviate any potential nausea from travel sickness, but I would suggest you just go prepared and enjoy the trip.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 9:27 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• DVD players work really well! Even if your child doesn't sleep, at least he/she will be occupied for a bit.
    KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 9:29 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• We tried it that way and dealt with screaming for an hour and a half. I don't want to experience that again. I pretty much wanted to jump out of the plane!!! So yes, I'd rather he sleep!!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:29 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• We had a DVD player, several toys, books, snacks, puzzles, stuffed animals. All of which kept his attention for maybe 10 minutes each.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I'm not sure what to tell you..on our flight home from visiting family and my g-pas funeral, the flight attendant on our 4 hour flight for on and said since it's night time we'll be dimming the lights so people can sleep...apparently my 2 1/2 year old took that to heart, bc she said "momma dada it's time to go night night", and was out before we even took off. Lol had to share that story..just make sure you have a toy bag and snacks bought just in case he doesn't sleep..good luck!
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 9:30 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• You're going to need a blow dart gun, darts, mild liquid sedative, some duct tape, suckers, and some xanax's....

Now, use your imagination. :)
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 10:07 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Chloesmom problem is, I can't get any of it through security!!! :) :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:08 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• hahahaha, damn the TSA.
    I flew direct from Baltimore - Vegas with a 1 year old. They showed a movie. Snacks, and let her walk around in the isle as long as..
    1) no turbulence
    2) they had to walk her...you couldn't.

6 hours later, happy baby. :)

I also let my DD look out the window, I told her to watch the wing and if it falls off to let mommy know.
    Other people thought it was funny.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 10:11 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Take a Red eye flight. You know, a Middle of the night flight.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:33 PM on Apr. 5, 2011