How do you get merangue to not split apart from the pie crust?

lmanthey

Asked by lmanthey at 11:33 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I can't wait to find out the answer! I have to same problem all the time! It's so frustrating!
    teddybear515

Answer by teddybear515 at 11:38 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• "To prevent the meringue from shrinking during baking, seal it completely to the crust edge with a spatula when mounding it atop the filling. Be sure to place the meringue on the filling while it is hot. The residual heat carried by the filling cooks the base of the meringue ever so slightly, making it less prone to leaking or shrinking. "

I found this answer here: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Desserts-747/meringue.htm
    good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 11:44 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• The trick is to make sure the meringue is touching the pie crust all the way around, with no spaces, and to put it on while the filling is still piping hot. Also, using cream of tartar when making the meringue helps to keep it from shrinking as well.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 2:22 AM on Nov. 30, 2008