Do you let

Ok mom's do any of you let some of you older kids help do things for the younger siblings? Like my 6yr. likes to help get thinks for the younger ones like some thing to drink or etc. How do you feel about it?

butterflies78

Asked by butterflies78 at 9:44 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes, in fact I expect it from my older kids. We are a "team" and are expected to help each other out.
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 9:45 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• yes i let my kids i think it good think there big brothers and sister there just helping me out
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 9:46 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My 6 yo helps me get drinks for the younger two as well. He helps hand out plates for dinner and even getting snacks out of the cupboard. he has those privileges because he has showed me that he can handle helping without making a mess or getting into something that he shouldn't.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 9:47 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I think it's nice the 6 year old wants to help the little one. I think the problem comes when an older doesn't let a younger speak for themselves, or do age appropriate things for themselves. Sounds like your 6yo is quite the nurturer, good job!
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 9:47 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• sure why not they are being helpful & want to be helpful as long as they are not taking away the younger ones ability to do things for themselves.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 9:47 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I think asking them for a favor once in a while is fine, or if they offer to do it okay, but they shouldn't be EXPECTED to do it. It is not their child. I absolutely hate when parents expect their older children to babysit without being payed. Parents should raise their own children, not expect their other children to do it just because they live there (maybe different with adult children who live at home in exchange for services like this)
    Anonymous

• I have a 2 1/2 year old son who helps me with his younger brother of course with my help but that way he learns the sharing, helping and gets to be apart of his brother's up brining
    I think that he get's a great deal of satisfaction with doing so especially since he goes around telling everyone in the house what he did and is always concerned with his brother's well being
    proudmommy_0811

Answer by proudmommy_0811 at 9:48 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Let me rephrase before someone gets all fiesty. Household chores are one thing. Working as a team/family and helping out yes should be done. But expecting an older child to do things that the PARENT just doesn't WANT to do is another. Children aren't built in maids/babysitters/caretakers.
    Anonymous

• A few months ago when the Justin Beiber movie came out, I gave my 11 year old daughter a little project to help her raise money to pay her way because she really wanted to go. I made a list of odd and end things she could do to earn more money. For instance, if she changed her infant sister's poopy diaper, it was $1. If she changed a wet one, it was 50 cent. If she fed her a bottle, it was $1. If she spoon-fed her cereal, it was $2 and so on. She earned about $12 but spent $5 on Valentine's stuff from school and decided not to go to the movie after all. She learned the lesson of having to work for what you get so I took her anyways and paid her full way. Much better teachable moment than if I just let her go.

Usually my daughter doesn't help out with the younger kids (she has 4 siblings under age 5) when I'm home but I do know that she helps out a lot on the 2 nights a week I work and my husband is home with the kids
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 9:53 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I expect my kids to help out with each other. The older kids help get the 5yo her milk for her cereal in the morning and helped potty train her and bathe her. And now they have a baby brother. The older 3 change diapers, make bottles, play with him, "babysit" on Saturday mornings so I can sleep in. they enjoy the responsibility. We're a family and we help each other. It's just expected. My kids don't see it as a chore, just part of being a family and it's always been that way. Even when my older 3 were babies/toddlers I expected the oldest to help with the youngest. They are now 10, 9 and 8. The baby is 8 months.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:54 PM on Apr. 5, 2011