Positive Equate hpt, negative First Response?

So I am not due for my period for another 6-7 days, but I have been feeling funny so I took an Equate test this AM (not the one but the blue dye w/2 lines) I had a faint, thin positive come up within 30 seconds. I have heard alot of stories about this type of test giving false positives though so a few hours later when my husband got home I took a First Response. This one was negative. Now I am confused! Was it a the positive false or the negative? Have any of you had exceptionally good or bad experiences with either brand?

Missalissa86

Asked by Missalissa86 at 9:45 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I agree with Nanixh, I was told hpt's are quite accurate nowadays. I bet the results are because a. you didn't have a stagnant bladderfor both, b. they read different levels of hcg (the pregnancy hormone) and the negative test wasn't sensitive enough---these both would be true especially if you think you're pretty early on.

I have always liked CVS brand, because they are generic cost but test the least amount of hcg. I tested negative at 4 weeks pregnant this time, but positive at 5 weeks with those. my first pregnancy i used first response (i was over 8 weeks pregnant by the time i was testing, all three were positive and fast). Good luck
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 9:51 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• A false negative is a lot more likely than a false positive.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:46 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• We weren't TTC, my husband is actually a little stressed over the thought. But I am always happy to be pregnant, I love it! And I love my babies! I just know that as soon as I get excited over the "positive", it will turn out to not be true and I will be upset about it! :(
    Missalissa86

Comment by Missalissa86 (original poster) at 10:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I am going to take another First Response tomorrow with my FMU and I will let you guys know what it says
    Missalissa86

Comment by Missalissa86 (original poster) at 10:14 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• If you get conflictng results again, call your OB/GYN and ask for a blood test, explain it to them. fmu is best, i'll be looking for an update!

My first we weren't ttc, I was actually away at college took the test and told (now)Dh over the phone, he hung up puked and started smoking (he hadn't smoked for like 8months). This time he wasn't ready to try, but we weren't being very cautious, he didn't freak and took it fairly well. I'm 30 weeks, he's still stressing, but is there ever a good time to have a baby? You make do, and it will work out one way or another.
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 10:24 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Lol, I couldn't agree more! It makes me laugh when people say they are "waiting to be ready financially and emotionally". No matter how ready you think you are, nothing prepares you for what it's really like! The good, bad, and in between! Although I do have to commend them on trying to be prepared for the sake of themselves and their baby. Are you having a boy or girl?
    Missalissa86

Comment by Missalissa86 (original poster) at 10:29 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I would wait until your period is due. you're testing early, and technically you have only been past ovulation for what, a week? It can take up to 12 days for the hCG to show enough in your system.

Love the name btw...my given name's Alissa (love that it's not spelt with a y, two lls, or one s...)
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 3:23 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• So I tested at 6am today with a First Response....got a BFP! It is really light but it is definately there! I have read alot of posts from other women who have had the same issue and alot of them say that the Equate brand is more sensitive than FR which is why it showed for them on Equate but not the other. I was really afraid to believe it in case it was a false positive, but it looks to me like I am expecting baby #3! I will be going in to have it confirmed in the next week :)
    P.S. Thank you! My real name is Melissa, but growing up my grandma always called me Missalissa so it has kind of stuck with me.
    Missalissa86

Comment by Missalissa86 (original poster) at 9:05 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• OMG!!! My first positive was only 6dpo! That is really early for a positive! Have you guys had a positive this early before?
    Missalissa86

Comment by Missalissa86 (original poster) at 10:46 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Ok so a little update. About 4 hours after my bfp yesterday morning, the positive line began to fade until it eventually was almost non-visible. I did some research and apparently the old style of FRER's have had issues with this but there was no information about the newer ones doing it. That put me back at confused. So I checked to see which test peeonastick.com would recommend and oddly enough ended up with another Equate(pink dye this time, not blue). I took the test about 7:15am today, BFN! I do have about 5 days until I am due to start my period though, so for now I am assuming I am not pregnant and I just had a couple of faulty tests. If AF is late then I will re-test and let you guys know what is going on! I am starting to feel like she is on her way though. I now have a watery, clear discharge and some very mild cramping. :(
    Missalissa86

Comment by Missalissa86 (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Apr. 7, 2011