When do I let my 10 yr. old daughter shave her legs?

I have a daughter going through puberty and developing. And she is wanting to shave her legs. I was wondering when an appropriate time to let her start shaving her legs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• i would say about 11 or 12 , just depending on the child.
    dgonzalez7478

Answer by dgonzalez7478 at 9:51 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My mom wouldn't let me shave til I was 12 I think.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 9:53 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Lets be honest, did any of us ladies really wait for our moms to say it was ok to start shaving or did we just start even if mom said no. I'll admit it, I was shaving my legs for a whole winter and spring before my mom found out that I'd started shaving. Be realistic, there are some things that its best if you let her pick the timing and you just give her your opinion, and the safest means.
    Skipo510

Answer by Skipo510 at 9:53 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I think it varies depending on the situation and the child and only you can make that decision.

I started shaving my legs when I was 11 and it really wasn't a big deal, so I wouldn't cringe if my 10 year old wanted to do it. If she did ask to shave her legs, I would first figure out why she wants to shave her legs. Are her friends all doing it? I the hair is really noticeable? I would look at if she is mature enough to take on something like this. If I thought it was okay for her to do it, I would sit her down and explain to her that once you start shaving, you are stuck doing it every day to every 2-3 days for the next 50 years. If she still wanted to do it, I'd get some sensitive skin shaving cream, a dull razor blade, and help her do it the fist time.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:55 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Maybe when she begins her period?
    allen.moriahd

Answer by allen.moriahd at 9:58 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• She had just turned 11 when she asked. Chanukah was coming up so I gave it to her as one of her 8 gifts for the holiday. It was a special moment for the both of us. I took her into the bathroom, presented her with the razors and shaving cream, gave her the tutorial, and loved sharing that with her. I definitely think age 11 or older is best. But only you know your daughter and how you think she would handle it.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 10:04 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Now is fine if she's got man hair on her legs. It can be hurtful to her self image if the other kid's are making fun of her hairy legs. What's the big deal? You shave YOURS dont you? YOU dont like having hairy legs, why should a developing girl have to?
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:16 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My mom didnt allow it till i was 15 and i had to beg her for that. And i did listen to here because i respected her and her rules. I wasnt allowed to date, or wear makeup till then either, and again i respected that. Also girls that start shaving earlier tend to have legs that look like they behave on an older female. It is ultimatly you choice and whenever you feel comfortable with her shaving then you can do it then. I however have found that the reasons my mother had for these rules make cmplete sense, and intend to do the same with my daughter. In addition i can definatly see the differenc between my legs and the girls i know who begin shaving youger. Also i am an extremely strong and self confidant woman because i have learned to accept myself as the person i am not the superfical aspects of my body.
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 10:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• i was not allowed to start until i was 12, and before that my mom decided it would be best to let my aunt wax them first, and then start shaving after. um. no, not ok. i wore pants all of age 11 because i was so self concious, and the waxing did nothing for me but hurt. i suggest buying her a cheap electric shaver (i have a remington smooth and silky) so that she doesn't get herself all cut up and letting her start there. 10+ is very reasonable, and if she is already noticing it and self conscious about it help her out with it so she doesn't "go to extremes" to feel better about herself
    mrstheriault

Answer by mrstheriault at 10:55 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• i remember my mom flipping out that i started shaving before she allowed me to. she associated it with sex, i associated it with fitting in. like some other moms are saying, i think you need to discuss it with her. good luck!
    alleaeon

Answer by alleaeon at 11:08 PM on Apr. 5, 2011