Introducing our cats

My spouse's cat used to live with us, but spouse took the cat when he was out of the house for 9 months. Now, I have another cat and spouse just brought his back. We were going to leave his cat in the carrier for awhile until mine got adjusted, but my daughter let him out. Now, we have two cats who think this is there domain, and they've been hissing, growling, and snapping at each other for 2 days. Any suggestions?

baenglishwc05

Asked by baenglishwc05 at 11:48 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Pets

• It is best to introduce them slowly of course, but not with one in the kennel and one free. If you put them both in a kennel facing each other and let them kind of get to know each other first I find that works best. But, since they've been running about for the last 2 days and noone has been injured I would just let them go and eventually they should get over it.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 11:54 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• It will get better. I will most likely take a week to two but they will find a middle ground, and no there is really nothing you can do. If you separate them it will just take longer. I know from experience. Good luck.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 11:57 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I am a volunteer for our local cat shelter.. we are also a cageless facility , with that and from my own at home experience.... It can take a cpl of day or it may take 2 months til they atually start getting along. They will hiss, and growl, and slap at the other but in time they will learn to like each other. Just let them be and work it out.
    itsokmomshere

Answer by itsokmomshere at 10:00 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• It helps things if both of the cats are fixed- if not male cats can spray to mark their territory (your house), and may not work it out. It is good to introduce SLOWLY- I used to put the "new cat" in the bathroom or a bedroom without the other cats and provide their own litter box. (I had many cats..) Then they can sniff each other under the door and get used to each other's smell-for at least a week! Then let the "new one" out an hour one day, two hours the next and see how they react. Hissing and growling is o.k. but I would not let them alone if they are doing that. Giving the "new cat" its own territory helps it feel safe and lets it "cool down" too. After awhile they will get used to each other, but I would keep the same number of littler boxes as cats, and introduce SLOWLY so you don't have emergency vet visits.
    hannahk

Answer by hannahk at 2:34 AM on Dec. 1, 2008