What is a good pet for a 2 1/2 yr old?

mommatabby

Asked by mommatabby at 9:52 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 2 1/2 year old got a dog on his 1st birthday and him and his dog are about the same age :) but we have family pet's that he loves...I would do like a dog or cat
    proudmommy_0811

Answer by proudmommy_0811 at 9:56 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I'm a big fan of puppies. At that age I would say a small to med sized breed with a notoriously sweet and calm disposition. My sister-in-law got her girls a bulldog. Kindda heavy but not so tall as to scare them and not too much for the jumping but he'd waddle after them in the yard all day long and was fiercly protective.
    Skipo510

Answer by Skipo510 at 9:56 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• A fish
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:57 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• We have a boxer pup for our 2 and 4 year olds. They love him, and it gives them good exercise with chasing eachother.
    allen.moriahd

Answer by allen.moriahd at 10:00 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My son has a sweet lab mix and they have grown up together. She is about 45lbs and about 3 feet tall.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 10:09 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My 2 1/2 year old LOVES our dog! He's a 100 lb black lab and they play with other all day!
    KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 10:10 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• a kitty
    kimsmith22

Answer by kimsmith22 at 10:11 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I would vote puppy but you will end up doing all the hard work while your 2 year old chases him around the house pulling his tail. That considered, I say a fish. You can let them help you feed it and occasionally clean the fishbowl. This will really make him/her feel like its THEIR pet and leave a minimal amount of upkeep for you. :) GL and happy pet hunting!
    Missalissa86

Answer by Missalissa86 at 10:19 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• a smaller sized american pit bull terrier is a dream dog. my next door neighbors have one at about 45lbs with their 3 young girls. i have a large one as i do not have any small children in the house, and it is by far the best breed i've ever encountered!
    mrstheriault

Answer by mrstheriault at 10:58 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• a pretty low maintenance pet that your child can touch and interact with is a bird. we had two love birds. my daughter was the same age and used to stick her fingers in the cage to pet them. They would "kiss" each other. so cute! BEST PART: they would "nip" at her and she would look at me and laugh!

any other pet can get frustrated and hurt your child(a pet that your child can touch)....even a hamster or gerbil. in my experience, birds are a nice start.
    alleaeon

Answer by alleaeon at 10:59 PM on Apr. 5, 2011