How long would a US government shut down be if they did it?

I caught a little bit of it on the news tonight and i want more information. Please help?

MoMoFu

Asked by MoMoFu at 9:53 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• It's anybody guess but this is what happen in 1995.

This time around we are in deeper debt. =[

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:48 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Hopefully, 20 months. : P
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:57 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Contrast Obama’s failure to explain the real challenge with the stand taken by President Franklin Roosevelt in 1936. (He was re-elected three more times), condemning “business and financial monopoly, speculation, reckless banking, class antagonism, sectionalism, and war profiteering."

FDR said then, “We know now that Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob.”

CHarlan

Answer by CHarlan at 12:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• The government is too big to fail?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:44 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Who knows. I guess it depends on how long the Democrats insist on blaming the Republicans for all the starving kids and sick grannies instead of working to get a budget(that they should have done a year ago)
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:44 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• In Lincoln’s words, “a house divided against itself, cannot stand.” They don’t care who they will hurt, and are hell bent on shutting down the government and defunding any programs "the other party" likes or the people need."Do what we demand or we take your government away!" Let them pout. Social Security payments would still be made. Air traffic controllers would scan the skies. The mail should arrive at the doorstep.

And so much for a president who stands for the people. His eyes are on the polls.
    CHarlan

Answer by CHarlan at 12:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• You mean the shut down if the budget doesn't get signed? And the military won't get paid? Cause, no they won't get paid this time like they did in 1995.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 5:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• The last shutdown happened in 93 and lasted 21 days. If it is not resolved by April 8, then pay stops. Yes military will get their money, but not until this thing is resolved and hopefully it will get passed, cause people are going to be hurting. They say to contact all your bill people (utlilities, mortgage, car, credit card company) and inform them of what is going on. My hubby is military, he says if it even ruins his credit, that he wants me to sue, lol
    sabbycat69

Answer by sabbycat69 at 9:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Sure, but wanna tell me what I'm gonna tell hubby's soldiers wives how the hell they are gonna buy food? Diapers??? Bills can be dealt with. Food? Gas? They have to go to work, or they are AWOL. I know they will get back pay. But before long, I'm gonna be hammered with questions.
    And it's possible it can be held off, and we won't have to worry about it. But, what if? And in this time, with our guys gearing up for deployment later this year? Wow, talk about stress levels going up like 500%.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 10:13 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• well keep looking at the news in cnn and you will find more information
    marivel718

Answer by marivel718 at 4:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2011