New college grads - anyone else having trouble finding work?

I just graduated with my Associate's Degree R.N., and I am finding it hard to get a job. It is very competetive right now with unemployment being rather high and the economy being poor. Employers prefer people who have experience. I'm still taking online classes toward my BSN, which will open doors for me, but I really need to find work now. I applied for six positions just today.

Anyone else having the same issue?

Iamgr8teful

Asked by Iamgr8teful at 9:57 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in

• Could you apply for positions that are lower than RN, such as a CNA until you can get experience or the economy improves? I know several of my friends you are doing this and some friends who just got certified as teachers are taking parapro jobs, and daycare worker jobs.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:06 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• EVERYONE is having trouble finding jobs. Degree or not. Look at the career center of your college for help finding jobs. Look outside your city, into neighboring cities. I would NOT apply for a job as a CNA, that is NOT the experience you need. Look at doctors offices, jails, nursing homes. My friend is a nurse in a jail and she loves it. Sell yourself and your skills.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:46 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• What a accomplishment. Times are so hard around us! There has to be one place you haven't tried yet that can appreciate your talents. Best of Luck!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 6:59 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• sure crisis and competition are in love
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 6:07 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Thanks for your input, ladies. Jeremysmom, I have applied for several LPN positions.

Today I can announce that I have a job! I just got hired as a charge nurse at a Rehabilitation Hospital (part nursing home and part rehab for post-acute patients who are stable enough to leave the hospital). I start this Friday.
    Iamgr8teful

Comment by Iamgr8teful (original poster) at 12:00 AM on Apr. 14, 2011