Meaning of being saved

I know of some Christians that say they are 'saved' and say it means living their lives for the Lord.

Some of them have said they are 'saved' than they do what is believed to be a sin, like sex outside of marriage.....but feel since they are 'saved' than doing this is ok?
What does it mean to be 'saved' and when someone is 'saved' should they avoid anything that is believed to be a sin or does being 'saved' eliminate these sins?
Thanks for explaining.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Being saved does not eliminate these sins or "save" you from them. BEing saved is not a ticket out of hell and in to heaven while sinning. Also I know a very, very hardcore druggie, alcohilic, crazy man who beats women, never mentions God or anything that swears because he got "saved" a long time ago he's going to heaven. He's totally abusing it. IMO I think being saved is accepting Jesus into your hears, Submitting to him and the word (Or atleast trying, were not perfect) and living for him. Be humble. When you do wrong acknowledge it and repent (Turn away from and ask for forgiveness) Build a relationship with God.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 12:05 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• No it is not right to continue sinning once you are saved. The bible discribes it like a dog returning to its vomit. Once you repented you should stay separated from your old ways.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 2:37 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Agree 100% with the above!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:55 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Being saved means you should live your life as Christ would. They are using God's mercy and grace as an excuse to sin and no it's not right. We all have struggles and should do our best to stay away from sin, but sometimes we do fall. If you do fall and then repent your sin and continue to try to live like Christ then you will go to heaven. But I don't believe those that sin and think they are saved are truly saved. They would want to live like Christ.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 2:19 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• JCRestoredme I also agree 100%. If you feel that you are saved you will have changed your ways and would follow the best you can all gods commandments. You will cloth yourself with a new personality. You will walk in the path that Christ has doing his father’s will. You must truly repent and ask for help and guidance where you need it. A Christian should keep separate from world.
    Jas. 4:4; 1 John 2:15; John 15:19; 17:16………. Bible’s laws on morals must be obeyed.
    1 Cor. 6:9, 10; Heb. 13:4; 1 Tim. 3:2; Prov. 5:1-23………. Christ set example that must be followed in serving God.
    1 Pet. 2:21; Heb. 10:7; John 4:34; 6:38 God’s name is Jehovah ..Ps. 83:18; Isa. 26:4; 42:8, AS;Ex. 6:3
    Anonymous

• Saying your saved doesn't mean you are. I can say I'm an airplane does that make me one? When we are saved, "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! 2 Corinthians 5:17" We are convicted by the Holy Spirit for our sin, we will still sin but we cannot continue in that sin and think it's ok. Many people say they are saved but are not. In Matthew 7:21 Jesus tells us "Not everyone who says to me Lord, Lord will enter the kingdom of Heaven. Also in Matthew 13:13 "Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand".
    MrsHart6

Answer by MrsHart6 at 11:11 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• cont..... Luke 6:46 Why do you call me Lord, Lord and do not do what I say? Luke 8:13-14 (the seed is the word of God) Those on the rock are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for awhile but in the time of testing they fall away. The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life's worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature.

MrsHart6

• cont....There are too many verses listed in the bible for me to find and type them all here (I have already had to break up and post 3 seperate times) . I just gave you a few to show that just because someone says they are saved doesn't mean they are. When one is truly saved, their lives are changed. The old is gone and a new has come. Again, that doesn't mean the act of sin stops, it just means there is a difference in the person. If someone is continuing on in a very sinful life without repentence they have not been saved.
    MrsHart6

Answer by MrsHart6 at 11:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I want to add that in Luke 8 where it talks about the seed that fell among the thorns, this sounds like the people you are talking about. They hear the word, repent and are saved but do not mature. To mature means to continue to allow the Holy Spirit to convict you of your sin, to seek a closer relationship with God (thru prayer and reading the word) and to strive to model your own life after the life that Christ lived while on earth. Some people never move forward past the initial coming to repentence and asking Christ to come into their lives.
    MrsHart6

Answer by MrsHart6 at 11:16 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Everyone sins. It's called "missing the mark" or "messing up". The point is you're supposed to LEARN from your mistakes, try again, and do better next time. If you don't learn from your mistakes than you're not taking advantage of the gift of LIFE God has given you. It's as simple as that. There is nothing to be saved from, other than your own consiousness and your own KNOWING that you're not doing the GOOD that is wired within you to do.

Jesus brought us the "Christ consiousness", or the idea that we have always been and will always be, just like GOD. And also the idea that we are ONE with our creator and if you want to know GOD'S truth, all you have to do is ASK.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 8:26 AM on Dec. 1, 2008