Will the government ever balance the budget?

I am convinced our government is nutty. Can anyone explain to me how the national debt is a good thing? While the Democrats and Republicans bicker over numbers in the "B"s, one congressman proposed cutting 62 TRILLION and it will **still** take 30 years to balance the budget. Since when is it good to be saddled in debt? It's not good for the individual, so how can it be good for the government? PS, I am a political moderate (non-party affiliated).

RobotLady

Asked by RobotLady at 10:38 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• It's not just a question of cutting expenditures, if it were that simple it would have been done ages ago. The government also has to work around 'necessary debt' such as Social Security & other programs that actually make the country function. Add to that all the debt owed to foreign countries and the picture of why it is so difficult becomes clearer.
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 10:41 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Nope!! NEVER EVER! To think they ever can is silly. The Govt will NEVER change their spending habits.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:46 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I don't believe that it is possible as long as we are engaged in so many wars
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 1:16 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I don't believe that governmental budgets will ever really balance. During different economic times a surplus serves well and during others a deficit does.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 1:23 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• NOtas long as the "partitions" can only agree to line the pockets of the wealthy.

When official committees consisting of no more than 1/3 Democrats, 1/3 Republicans, and 1/3 non-aligned voters, supervise the entire process of redrawing boundaries and make official findings on the legitimacy of any proposal we may work towards balancing the budget effectively.
    CHarlan

Answer by CHarlan at 10:26 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I dont think it will because thats Obama's plan. to bankrupt the country so we arent a country and caint fight anything. they have already decided to cutt military pay. so the families still get housing and food paid but the soldiers arent getting a paycheck. we will never be out of debt. JMO :)
    B.Meadows11

Answer by B.Meadows11 at 10:35 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I really don't think they can do it now. A deficit is NEVER a good thing. Only a lib could say that it is.
    As I read the Republicans budget proposal I can only wonder. It's a huge reduction in anything and everything
    and yet it still leaves us with a huge deficit. Of course more things will be found in the future but there are
    always unexpected expenses that will come up. Will the people who have been affected by the lay offs for
    the past 2 yrs ever make what they are worth? Will our kids ever be able to afford a home? It's scary.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:39 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• We will never be out of debt, but we could start to rein in the spending. Was it just yesterday I heard a little blurb about another pet project (dare I say Nancy?)to save the tit mouse somewhere in the US? Important, worth spending millions of dollars on? No. Someone should have the power and common sense to say NO and take it out of the proposed spending.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:42 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• They have no incentive to balance the budget,  it would mean no more (or alot less) money for Congressional districts which gives them less $$ to buy votes with...it is not in their OWN interest so NO,,,,they wont

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:21 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• They lack imagination. Humans are adaptable. When we have less money we are resourceful and think of the best ways to save money. We don't starve our family neglect health and rob those less fortunate. When the government decides it's time to spend less that is exactly what they do while giving handouts to the richest to guaratee them more power. That is NOT democracy
    CHarlan

Answer by CHarlan at 11:42 AM on Apr. 6, 2011