My IUD became infected adult content

I got my IUD on March 19th (just a few weeks ago) and I have been having severe pain ever since. March 28th I begged to be seen. But over he phone my GYN's assistant said 'You are fine'. Today I had to go to the ER because the pain was so bad.

The doc took a pelvic exam, swabs and took blood. He calmly said 'It looks like you might have an infection. I'll be back when your blood results come back.'

Not 10 min later the nurse says shes putting an antibiotics shot in my hip. I was a bit confused why they felt it was necessary since they didnt even have results back. The doctor then peeked his head in and said my blood came back negative for any problem, and the cervix swabs would be back in a few days. A few min later the nurse came in to discharge me. The form said 'Diagnosis: Endomitriosis. Medical instructions: Pelvic inflammatory disease'

I was shocked. I asked: "What is this about?? The doctor said I MAYBE had an infection. He never mentioned PID or endomitriosis"

The nurse stumbled around a bit and said "riiiiight... thats why you need to have a follow up with your primary care provider"

so, Im now taking a full course of Doxycycline, and have an appointment for Thursday.. And the damn thing is still in me. Im a bit worried...

does anyone have a similar story???

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 10:44 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Health

• That is a common side effect of an IUD. How he diagnosis was written is probably for the insurance company, or CALL and demand an explanation from someone in the office. Endometriosis is a VERY SERIOUS thing to have. PID is nothing to shirk at either.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:49 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Wow..that's scary! I'm trying to decide what form of birth control I'm going to be using now, IUD or rod implant. Definitely something to take into consideration, I'm so sorry you have to go through this :\
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 10:50 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I asked to be sterlized and my doctor said no. And that getting the IUD would be my best bet. I regret, regret, regret it!
    stenhouse_baby

Comment by stenhouse_baby (original poster) at 10:52 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I had an IUD and got an infection too. The pain was very severe and increased by loads and buckets almost daily. When I finally got in they poked around and couldn't find anything. I made an emergency appointment with my GYNO and he took a few swabs and found a TON of white blood cells. He said it was a good thing I came in when I did because otherwise it could have gotten really bad. I got the IUD taken out before I got the infection diagnosis. If I had left it in, I wouldn't have had a prayer as far as pain goes. They also did an ultrasound on me to check for perforations and cysts or an ectopic pregnancy. All of which came back fine, but I can understand how scary that can be. I wouldn't trust a diagnosis from an ER doc as the only one. My GYNO was a better bet for me and got me taken care of in only a few weeks. It took three FULL cycles after IUD was out before the pain went away. Good luck!
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 10:57 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Also, I can't believe they didn't do an ultrasound to check the IUD placement. I would make an appointment for that ASAP since that can be really serious. DEMAND to be seen.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 10:59 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• i didnt get an infection but my iud was uncomfortable, had bad period cramps that were diff from usual for the year i had it, oh and i got pregnant,
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I would have that taken out asap. My doctor tried to talk me into both of them. I declined after talking to friends and family. Both can have horrible side effects. I use the ortho evera birth control patch and have had no issues with it. I have used it for years.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 1:28 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I got the mirena and it wa horrible!! I bled for months straight, starting losing weight and my hair started falling out! Then my pelvic area bloated out like I was pregnant and I quit having periods all together but the bloating got worse and it was extremely tender even just to the touch. Then I started oozing this awful discharge and called the Doc and I had an infection in my uterus. I had them take it out immediatly!! My friend got one and got pregnant on it, then for some stupid reason she got it again after she had the baby and then it fell out!!
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 1:44 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Woah wait wait now, your friend got pregnant on it??? What happend? Did the IUD get taken out, or ??
    stenhouse_baby

Comment by stenhouse_baby (original poster) at 3:35 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• i've heard nothing but horror stories... i just got the pill after baby #3...
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:23 PM on Apr. 6, 2011