Sleeping postions??

i can not get comfortable on either side i lay on but when i lay on my back my babygirl moves alot more, i'm worried sleeping on my back is hurting her or she actually just has more room to move so she's enjoying it......

MommyLayne

Asked by MommyLayne at 10:49 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had a water bed and slept on my tummy with both my kid's. They moved around allot more if I was on my back to
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:51 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• A lot of women will say that if you sleep on your back you will mess up blood circulation, harm the baby, etc. I HAD to sleep on my back until the last few weeks of pregnancy because of the major comfortableness & sleeplessness from my new expanded hips. Do what makes you sleep better, minus sleeping on your tummy of course ;)
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 10:53 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• While attempting to sleep on your side, have you tried a body pillow?? I have an enormous body pillow that I put between my knees, I snuggle with it... and it really helps my stomach as well. I still will toss from side to side every now and then, but its the best thing I could find.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 11:23 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• The left side is the "best" side to sleep on as you get the maximum blood flow but those of us who've been there know the terrible pain we'd be in if we slept on one side the entire night. I switched back and forth from side to side to try and minimize hip pain and spent small amounts of time on my back. A body pillow or pillows between your knees can also be very helpful.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 12:33 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Pillows are great, lol. Sometimes I would sleep on my side with a small pillow wedged under my tummy for support and a body pillow along my back. Sometimes I would sleep on my back with the small pillow wedged under one hip.

Sleeping on your back can cause problems; there's a vein that runs through that area that returns blood to your heart from your lower body (which area includes your uterus, and thus the baby), and if you sleep flat on your back, the weight of the uterus can cut that off. That being said, you'll probably know if there's an issue; you'll feel dizzy, lightheaded, etc., and a simple change of position will ease that for you. However, simple solution is to prop one hip with a small pillow or folded towel or something. You don't have to be completely on your side to ease the pressure of the uterus on the vein.

Pillows are your friend!
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:39 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I slept on my back throughout my entire pregnancy and baby girl is perfect.
    EBee12

Answer by EBee12 at 12:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2011