How to deal with my son's fear of being alone?

All of a sudden my 5 yr old is incredibly scared of being alone. He completely freaks out even if I have to go take a shower or something, he will have a complete meltdown....crying & screaming and banging on the bathroom door. I tried to talk to him but all he can tell me is he scared to be alone... I dont know what to do?!?!

BSumm3rs

Asked by BSumm3rs at 10:54 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe he had a bad dream that he still remembers. My son did this for a while. Just keep reassuring him and eventually he may come around. Try having him keep a favorite stuffed animal or toy close, maybe watching his favorite show while you shower. Leave the door open may help. Do you know if he saw something on tv or maybe read something in a book?
    tlvalmom

Answer by tlvalmom at 12:54 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I will try the stuffed animal and favorite show thing. Thank you! :) All his books are very age appropriate and we have parental controls on the tv so I dont think so.... I tried to leave bathroom door open just a lil but he came running in and grabbed the shower curtain and so he sall me nude....
    BSumm3rs

Comment by BSumm3rs (original poster) at 1:13 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• do you still have the baby monitor? take that into the shower with you and leave him near the main part and explain to him that you can hear anything from the room he is in when you have the listening part .... it has been yrs since I had a monitor so I hope I am making the idea clear... other then using a monitor I can only think that maybe if he sits outside the bathroom door and looks through books or listens to some music on headphones(Ipod) until your done in the bathroom otherwise just have him follow you room to roomand find things to distract him in each room while you do your thing
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 1:27 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Thanks! I will try the baby moniter thing also....
    BSumm3rs

Comment by BSumm3rs (original poster) at 1:38 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Normal phase, let him color in the bathroom while you shower. I believe in letting them cling if they feel the need.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:31 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Thanks :)
    BSumm3rs

Comment by BSumm3rs (original poster) at 6:36 PM on Apr. 6, 2011