What more can I do?

I run about 5-6 days a week. I stopped eating fast food, eating out, fried foods. I also, stopped drinking soda. I drink water sometimes I will have green tea, but not too often. What else can I do to help me lose weight?

vjoaquin

Asked by vjoaquin at 11:04 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Make sure you temper your exercising with a variety of types of workouts, otherwise you'll simply be building in one area & not reaping the benefits of a full-course workout. As always, don't forget that muscle weighs more than fat.
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 11:09 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Totally cut out bad carbs- bread, rice, any flour product. Eat servings of 1/3 lean protein to 2/3 veggie and fruit combinations. - including breakfast. We have found the Acai Trim dietary booster to help. You can get it at Sams'. First magazine is full of helpful diet information. Good Luck. :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:09 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Make sure you get 7 to 8 hours of sleep. There is evidence that if you get less sleep that your body reacts by hanging onto calories and making you eat more.
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=52027

And PORTION CONTROL is essential. Eat half of what you usually eat: For example, if you eat steak and potatos and rolls, cut the steak in half, eat half of a baked potato, and no rolls...a salad with low fat dressing instead.
    Otherwise, you seem to have been doing all the right things! Good luck!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:11 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Sorry let me also add this:

I am not worried about gaining muscle I want to get rid of my tummy. It's HUGE! and I hate it! lol
    vjoaquin

Comment by vjoaquin (original poster) at 11:11 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• High intensity interval training (HIIT) Totally kicks my butt, increases my fitness level (normal workouts seem a lot easier after I focus on HIIT for a period of time), burns more fat and calories, and takes less time than normal cardio workouts. You can totally do it while running if that's your preferred workout, simply by incorporating the use of a timer. Will help you train better for your 5K's too.... http://www.intervaltraining.net/

vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:36 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• You need to switch things up. Your body is used to running. Start doing some hills or intervals. Run at high intensity for 2 or 3 minutes then bring it back down to a jog and back up again.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 12:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Start keeping a food journal, and input the info (ACCURATELY measured) into something like the log on sparkpeople.com, which calculates calories for you. That will give you a better sense of how much you're actually eating. Are you familiar with proper food portion sizes? It may also be worth buying a cheap food scale. It's good to check in periodically and see how much you're really eating. It's amazing how small a portion of meat really is, or a serving of starch. Increase your fruits and veggies, and eliminate processed foods from your diet, including those at home.
    Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:58 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Thanks ladies all good ideas!
    vjoaquin

Comment by vjoaquin (original poster) at 3:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I agree that you should be aware of food portions. I also recommend looking into eating non-processed foods (I don't know if you have already) I'd suggest Michael Pollen's Food Rules as a good start. I might recommend cutting your running down to 3-4 times a week, when I was working out to lose weight I heard that if you do it every day it makes it harder for you to loose weight because your body needs a break. The last thing I have to recommend (which sucks) is time. It takes time. I lost 55 lbs over the course of two years, by doing just what you are. I swam about 3 times a week for 20mins, ate right and drank a lot of water. For the first year I lost maybe 10-15lbs but I stuck with it because I wanted to be healthy (rather than lose weight) and it worked.
    EBee12

Answer by EBee12 at 3:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I am doing a 90-day weight loss challenge...I have 18 lbs already and it has only been 28 days. If you or anyone else would like to know how please message me.
    tarams98020

Answer by tarams98020 at 4:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2011