Got screwed on a car we bought, now what? adult content

So my husband and his dad went to look at a car that we found on craigslist. It was a fairly cheap one, just a second car for my husband to drive a couple miles to work and back. He and his dad thought it looked alright. So my husband bought it. We did notice a clicking noice on the passenger side so we took it to a mechanic a couple days later. WE figured no big deal since we didnt pay much for it, and it didnt need inspected until fall. Well the mechanic told us it was completely rotted/rusted underneath and we would be lucky if it lasted us until inspection. Obviously they didnt check it out good enough before buying it. So after several attempts to contact the guy we purchased it from, my husband and his dad went to this guys house to talk about it. Well he wasnt there and my husband said to his mom please have him call us or well be back tomorrow. So the guy calls the cops and says we have been threateneing him. A total lie. He obviously is a very shady person. Anyways we just spent all of the extra money we had on a car that is junk. Any ideas on how we could get our money back or can we take him to court? Also how can we find out who inspected it, it definaltey shouldnt have passed. ANy ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Shopping

• Sorry to say but sales like that are "as is" If you do take them to court they will just tell you that you should have had a mechanic look at it before purchasing the car.
    vjoaquin

Answer by vjoaquin at 11:21 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Sorry but with a used car - it is BUY BEWARE!! And you should ALWAYS have a mechanic inspect a used car BEFORE you purchase it.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Small claims court is how you get your money back. Also show up at his house with the cops and maybe the cop will force the guy to take it back and give you the $$ back. Espically if the guy said nothing was wrong and there obviously was.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:27 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I agree, I don't think it is much you can do. I would start off by trying to reach your local legal aide office, You can usually speak to someone there for free legal advice about the situation and they can let you know what the laws are and what rights you have or refer you to a website. It sucks that there are people out there who don't care do these scams. Good luck!!
    lola760

Answer by lola760 at 11:28 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I doubt there is anything you can do unless you have tangible proof that he knowingly deceived you on the condition of the car, which I'm sure you probably don't. Otherwise, you will likely be told that the sale was "as is" and that the burden to ascertain the car to be in excellent mechanical condition was upon you, the buyer.
    Sorry you got a bad car, but that's what happens sometimes when you buy used stuff (house, car, etc) and don't have it inspected professionally.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:18 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I don't think there's really anything you can do, short of talking to the guy and convincing him to give you your money back. Sorry.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:12 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Unless you can prove he actually said nothing was wrong with the car, you bought it as is which means you're out of luck. And even if he did say nothing was wrong with it, given that (from what you say) they didn't even lift the hood to look under it, you'd be hard pressed.

I think the best thing to do is chalk it up to a lesson learned and make sure your husband has it drilled into his head that he needs to check a car out thoroughly before putting down money for it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2011