What is your take on this?

Atheist student group calls Bible "smut" and offers to exchange porn for Bibles-

Click here

Is this a true representation of the young Atheist?

Would you feel differently if it were your holy text?

soyousay

Asked by soyousay at 11:19 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Religious Debate

• 'Holy' or not- there is tons of debauchery in the Bible- INCLUDING sexual deviance that is akin to what we consider 'porn'. That's why I don't understand it when some Christians groups try to ban other books for their content...

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:52 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Q: Is this a true representation of the young Atheist?

A: Because atheists are not an actual structured "group" as a whole, I don't think you can take what one student organization at one University is doing, and apply it to all "young atheists". That would be like saying that the Westboro Baptists represent all Christians.

Q: Would you feel differently if it were your holy text?

A: Being an atheist, I don't have a holy text.   However, if I did, and it had this much sex in it, I think it would be a fair trade: http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/sex/long.html

Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 11:35 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I'd laugh at them - the Eddas are way more entertaining, but they have a point about the content of the bible. There's not another book on the planet with more sex and violence than that one.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:57 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• lol wow thats stupid XD

i used to love watching porn but i wouldn't disrespect someone by doing that

please dont think all atheists are like that though
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 12:18 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• well i think it makes Atheists look bad like the WBC makes Christians look bad, but thats their prerogative & they dont speak for the whole of Atheists. its kinda hard not to assume that a group called the Atheist Agenda doesnt have an agenda tho...

and just b/c someone has a Bible and is willing to trade it for porn doesnt mean they're a Christian...its really easy to get a free Bible especially since its a common graduation gift.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:25 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• These kids are certainly not the picture of all those who are. I have several friends who are atheist who respectfully decline the existence of any deities without resorting to such attention gathering actions.
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 11:26 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• The 6 Raunchiest, Most Depraved Sex Acts (From the Bible)

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 1:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• That is terrible...I didn't even click it I didn't want to see it but just reading your question hurt my feelings ....ugh...I don't understand why it is that Christianity can be outright blatantly slandered and no one does anything but any other religion you had better not say a one word about..or there will be huffs and puffs all over the place....and OMG's and everything in a tizzy...

doula-mom25

Answer by doula-mom25 at 11:25 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Oh my goodness.
    I think they are nuts.
    I personally despise porn.I have said that many times.
    BUT, this is just wrong . I would not call the Bible smut....what the heck? The Bible does have a lot of violence and the Sodom and Gomorrah story is pretty bad, there are lots of "questionable" passages and it seems to me the Bible is written by men with agendas, ....but,still, they are exaggerating by saying it is "smut". I don't think too many people will agree with them. That's just nuts.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:27 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Ah well...
    Stupid is as stupid does--Forrest Gump
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:39 PM on Apr. 5, 2011