Lou Gehrig's Disease

Does anyone know anyone that has this? Do you know anything about it? My SIL has been diagnosed with it and she is only in her late 30's. Every time I see her, she seems like she is a little worse than the last time. I hate seeing this happen to her and I hate seeing my husband's family go through this pain. I have been trying to wrap my head around this and I am having a hard time. Do you know if they have support groups for the people going through this?

Peajewel

Asked by Peajewel at 11:20 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Health

• GOOGLE it and you will find LOTS of info on it.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• don't know of anyone, check your local hospital for support groups inyour area.
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:19 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My dad got diagnosed with it recently and I am trying to wrap my head around it as well please let me know if you found anything out I have done lots of research but it still is just a lot of facts doesn't seem like much support
    acastle2

Answer by acastle2 at 12:47 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• My fiance' has Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS). He was diagnosed three years ago at the age of 45. It is a cruel disease for which there is no cure. Since he was diagnosed he has focused his energy on educating himself on ALS. He is passionate about creating awareness and raising money for the cure. He served on his state's ALS Association Board of Directors and has a huge team of supporters at ALS fundraising walks and golf events. I am his caregiver. I have watched the disease progress first hand for the last nine months. I've known him for 25 years (we dated all those years ago for a while and then went our separate ways) and I'm here to tell you that the disease will never define him. My heartfelt empathy and understanding goes out to you and acastle2. There are many online support groups, and through them and your loved ones ALS doctors you are sure to find local groups.
    LoveHerDad

Answer by LoveHerDad at 7:05 AM on May. 30, 2011

• I would like to offer you this advice: Allow yourself to grieve. It will be an everyday process. Some days worse than others. Ask for help when you need it. Accept help when it's offerred, if you don't need it right away, keep a contact list of those who want to help, call them when you do. It's a win/win - you get the help, they feel like they've made a difference (and they have). Ask your loved one what they want. Involve them in decision making. Don't forget their caregivers. It's the hardest thing I've ever done and is going to get even harder. I do it gladly, but I need to take care of the kids, cook, clean, blah blah blah. So a break of a day or two is very rejuvenating. Take care of yourself. Being close to someone who knows their death is coming is a very unique way to learn about life. Read the book called: tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom. Feel free to email me here if you'd like. God bless.
    LoveHerDad

Answer by LoveHerDad at 7:17 AM on May. 30, 2011