Nightmares

My son has been having nightmares for a few months now.... He is almost 5.. Is this normal? what can i do to help? he is so afraid to go to sleep because he doesnt want to have "dreams" i gave him a lightlight and i told him to just try to tell his dreams to go away, i try to reasure him that its just his imagination... is there anything i can do or say that will make them go away? I hate to see him wake up scared to death in the middle of the night. :'( breaks my heart!

dfwhite

Asked by dfwhite at 11:21 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• Maybe get him a Dream Catcher and tell him it will catch hims bad dreams and turn them into good ones? Might make him feel safe. My mom "sprayed for snakes" when I was younger, so maybe the same kind of "psychology' trick would work for him?
    kayceeisit

Answer by kayceeisit at 11:36 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• My twin boys used to wake up in the night with nightmares, too. I always made sure to end the evening with a happy up-beat story. Then, we'd talked about what we see when we close our eyes - what we see is nothing. And, we can't be afraid of what we don't see. And, if the "monsters" made their way into their bedroom in their dreams, I taught them to tell the monsters they had to play nice or they had to leave because only nice monsters were allowed in their room. Seemed to work for us. The nightmares dwindled away after a while.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:36 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• well u can always make him a little bed in ur room to see if it helps him not b scared then the nightmares might go away mayb hes just scared to sleep alone and that causes the night mares and they say what u think bout when u go to sleep is gonna b what u dream bout so if hes already thinkin bout it to go to sleep then he will have the nught mares so give him sumthing else to think bout and tell him to keep thinking bout it as he goes to sleep if hes capable to understand that or give him tv to watch or music to listen to to keep his mind off it and on sumthing else or let him fall asleep sumwhere else on his own then put him in bed theres sum different ideals for u hope one of them if not more will work for u
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 1:01 AM on Apr. 6, 2011