Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Custody? That is the question....

I'm pretty much wondering.... Do I have to go to court to get child support. IF we're not married, do we HAVE to go to court, or can we work something out just between us. SHOULD we go to court? HELP.... please.... 19...

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Relationships

Answers (7)
  • Oh honey. For the sake of your child(ren) take this matter in front of a judge. If you don't, then one day when he gets pissed off about something, he'll stop paying and then it'll be a pain in the ass to get him into court and get anything out of him. And if you don't take it to court, then if he doesn't feel like paying for a few weeks, it's not a big deal because there is no court order.


    Answer by crdc91506 at 12:19 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

  • yes you should god forbid he dies you will need proof he is the father to get s.s. for your kid with out jumping threw s.s. hoops


    Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

  • I think you should write down what you agree on, both sign it in front of a notary, then take it to a lawyer and see what they suggest.

    Answer by TXdanielly at 1:03 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

  • Court really isn't that bad. You NEED to file something with the courts. Even if it's an agreed order. That is what is best for your child so that it is guaranteed.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

  • There are actually forms you can download and have notarized to have this done, if he is agreeable.

    Answer by Alma_C at 2:34 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

  • If you are going to agree to some form of CS I would assume that he will be having visitation? If he has the child away from you he could just keep the child & you would have to go to court to get your child back if there are no custody orders. It could take weeks or months & you might not get your child back. The courts view BOTH bio parents as having rights to the child. The police will not intervene as they consider it a civil matter. They won't just go take the child because you say you are the mother. It is about a lot more than CS & just because CS is ordered does not mean it gets paid.


    Answer by strongmom40 at 5:06 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

  • If you want him to have to apy you need to go to court, you can work something out between the two of you but if he decides thats enough then you wont get anything else. Id go to court and see how it works out.

    Answer by Mommy_of_two_85 at 1:49 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.