Should anyone (besides the parents) have a say in what a child is named?

Weather it's frist or fifth child. Weather it's a grandparent, aunt or unhcle, even a sibling. (my 3 yo wanted to name his brother pizza cheese)

SolaraDarkset

Asked by SolaraDarkset at 11:28 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• A parent can take suggestions from whoever they wish. It's the parents that ultimately decide what the child is to be named. No one can sign the birth certificate for you!
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 11:29 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• "Click on "Use full editor"....there is a spell check function there. I use it every time before I post my answer.."

Spell check can't detect words used improperly or out of context; it's only good for spelling. It would NOT have noticed if she used whether or weather.

Its the choice of the parents. I know many who don't tell the babys' name until it is introduced to the world for this reason.

silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 11:38 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• If the parents are okay with it then sure. But I don't think anyone else should have an automatic right to chose. It's not their child!
    Anonymous

• I think it should matter if you are naming your child after someone in particular. The owner may not like it!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• NOPE!!! And that is exactly WHY we did NOT reveal our names to ANYONE until after we had our baby and already named them.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 12:23 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• The parents of the child should be able to name their child whatever they want. A suggestion here and there never hurts, you can always say, "I will think about it." But it's ultimately the parents decision.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:52 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Parents have the right to name their baby any name that they see fit. It should ultimately be their decision. Grandparents have already had their chance in life, so I don't feel they have the right to impose a name on their grandchild either.

It is really up to the parents to decide if they want to consider the opinions of friends or honor family members or not.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:24 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• It's up to the parents as to whether or not they want to involve additional parties in the decision making process.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:16 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• people can give their opinion but it's ultimately it's the parents decision
    AnnieSparks

Answer by AnnieSparks at 9:04 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Nope. They have every right to name their own children.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:49 AM on Apr. 6, 2011