What have you done or what you do for a new mom who you think is suffering from depression????

mental illness! say it out loud. so many people think it is a 4 letter word and avoid it. they dont wanna talk about it. such B.S.! so i ask if you had someone in your area who just had a baby. she seems over whelmed. she doesnt seem to want friend or fam over. her d/h is spacing out on her behavior and is thrilled over his new beautiful baby. depression, what is that? what would you do for her? offer to do a load of wash for her? invite yourself over? make a meal and pack it up and bring it over? if you know a mom who seems depressed please get over there.

dancingthrulife

Asked by dancingthrulife at 11:29 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Health

• I'm not sure exactly but I think you're asking what to do. I would babysit to make sure the Mom is sleeping, clean the house, bring a meal and keep an eagle eye on her. If she continues to be despondent, I'd call the OB myself on her behalf.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:39 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• all of the above. I would be a friend, which means I would talk to her and what ever she needs I would help her with.
    lola760

Answer by lola760 at 11:41 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Sometimes when you're depressed, You may not even know what to ask for. And there is so much guilt around postpartum depression. In the past I would just show up with a meal for the family for later, and a sweet treat to share right then. Then just talking and letting the new mom know that what she is going through is nothing to be ashamed of. If there are dishes that need to be done,the carpets need to be swept, or laundry that need to be done, I would send mom to bed for a nap and get busy. The follow up is important too. Mommies shouldn't have to suffer in silence anymore!!

jspencer1014

Answer by jspencer1014 at 12:16 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• All of the above and encourage her to seek help for the depression, just like I would for ANYONE suffering from depression or any other mental illness.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• tell them to call their dr...
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:18 PM on Apr. 6, 2011