Does your teenager leave stuff everywhere like the remains after a tornado hits?

My 17 year old, yes my oldest, leaves chaos in her wake wherever she goes. When asked to pick it up...she takes her sweet ol' time. Is this a teen thing? How to I get her to pick up after herself? taking away privledges doesn't work. Starting to get REALLY fed up with it all the time.

chnkychic76

Asked by chnkychic76 at 11:47 PM on Apr. 5, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• My daughter did the same thing, except her clothes wound up (besides her bedroom all over the floor), in the bathroom, kitchen and the living room. It drove me crazy I felt that all I ever did was pick up clothes. Luckily she moved out a little over a month ago.

I let her take the responsibility of washing her own clothes. Since your daughter is 17, she can do her own laundry. Remind her that you are not her maid.

I once read somewhere that a mother got so tired of their teens clothes everywhere that she put them in the trunk of her car. Then when her daughter finally realized that her clothes were missing that she wouldn't let her have them back until she was able to pay $1 per article of clothing. That seemed to do the trick.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:41 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Do you fight it and make them pick up or just say forget it? I really don't know what to do...
    Anonymous

• oh i def fight her to pick it up...she had all her stuff on my big chair in the living room since sunday. i told her today i wanted it all picked up and put away before i got home from work. i got home, she was finally doing the dishwasher and didn't even pick up yet. her dad came to get her and her little sister and she just took it all and put it at the bottom of the stairs. at wits end.
    chnkychic76

Comment by chnkychic76 (original poster) at 11:51 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• I don't blame you. My kids are doing this too and nothing seems to work. It drives me absolutely screaming mad!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:02 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I have the same problem! My oldest daughter leaves chaos everywhere! So today I got really fed up with it. My daughters share a bedroom. Like I said my oldest is chaotic but my other daughter is sooo neat. So this morning when they woke up my younger daughter almost staerted to cry because of the mess. She has been cleaning up after her older sister. So when I dropped them off to school I decided to clean their room . It took me 2 hours! When they got home my older daughter freaked!! She started yelling telling me not to touch her stuff so I'm hoping that maybe she will start to keep her room clean but I dont know.
    Annasofia

Answer by Annasofia at 12:19 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Oh yes! Sometimes it's just easier to pick the stuff up rather then argue.
    Sometimes I put my foot down and take away a privilge until it's done.
    mrsvixen

Answer by mrsvixen at 12:22 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I love amessageofhope's suggestion. I was thinking the same thing. When my son (only 3 now) refuses to help pick up his toys, I bag them and stache them somewhere in my room until he can prove he deserves to have them back to play with, and that he can pick up his toys. He dumped a puzzle out last night all over his bedroom floor. I was about to go in when I realized his father had gone in and was helping him put it together, so I waited. His dad came back out, saying there was a piece missing (which I knew, because I'd picked it up from the floor the last time the puzzle was used..) so I told DS that during a commercial I'd go in and help him find it. I was very proud to see that by the time the commercial came on, he had picked up the entire puzzle and put it back in the box. I located the missing piece and gave it to him to put with the rest of it, and then we played with a few other puzzles, which he helped clean up too.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 3:01 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My 17 yr old Daughter has the same problem with her stuff and her room. We share a bathroom which i cleaned yesterday. But left her stuff in the corner. I tell her to pick it up before she goes to school or when she gets or no going to friends, bf house the next day. Sometimes works, sometimes not. Dad has taken away T.V. but after that she just lays there on her bed. She drives insane with her room. I do like the idea of putting her stuff in the chair.....she already has one in her room. Think i will try it today when she goes to school today. I can already see her face when she comes home today........LOL
    4theloveofTink

Answer by 4theloveofTink at 8:00 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Nope, we started when they were young about where things belonged and made sure that they put things up instead of leaving it all over the place.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• No my 17 year olds don't leave a mess behind them because I've been training them since they were 7. Sorry, it's too late for your daughter, you'll just have to wait until she leaves home.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:19 PM on Apr. 6, 2011