Who lives in el paso and is stationed at ft bliss?

Ok.....so my husband and I will be moving to ft bliss in the next month. I would like to have an apt before I move there. We have a baby and a dog but a 1 bedroom would be fine. I have been looking online and everything is just super expensive. I don't know what average utilities are and i can't find out anywhere. I just need to know what areas are good and safe. I'm in a time crunch so this is just frustrating. And if anyone knows or is involved in 3-1 that would be helpful so i know what side of post to be close to. Any help is greatly appreciated!

bugsmommy13

Asked by bugsmommy13 at 1:16 AM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Travel

• https://www.bliss.army.mil/#

they may have some of the information you're looking for on this website.. it's the page for the base. Sometimes they have contact numbers and people you can get ahold of to get that information.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 1:38 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I've been to that site a number of times. It isn't as helpful as I thought it would be. But thank you. I have even tried those military one source sites in hopes of ffinding more info....it's mostly about on post housing.
    bugsmommy13

Comment by bugsmommy13 (original poster) at 1:49 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I was stationed there. The place is so freaking ugly but don't let that get you down! I didnt live in an appt, we lived in a 3 bed huse, 2 bath, big yard. When we were there 06-09 BAH was $807. It was about 100 for electric, and gas and water was about 100 also, but I think it's cheaper in an appt. So Base is on the Eat side, and things will be a little cheaper there, West Side is a lot nicer but a lot more expensive and it's quite a comute because there is a mountain running straight through the city, hence the whole East side/west side/ central. try and look for things off the Martin Luther King Jr highway because those houses are pretty nice and a lot of military live there. Avoid Central like the plague because thats right next to Mexico and its very run down and a lot of robberies happen. Far East is pretty nice too, but a bit of a commute. Anything near Railroad and Transmountain Hgway are good too, thats where I lived.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:54 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Im trying to remeber the name of the Apt my friend lived in It is Right next to William Beaumont, the Army Hospital, something Sun... There is one near there called Independenc Place Apartments, they are very very nice and very close to base. http://www.rentals.com/Apartments/Texas/El-Paso/79516/

If you have any questions about the area let me know. Oh you MUST MUST MUST go to Aloha Hawaiian BBQ, theres one on the west and east side, I miss them the most! Oh and during halloween in Messilla NM there is an awesome pumpkin patch harvest festival. I kind of miss the place.

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:59 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Thank you so much for responding ladies!!! Any info is helpful! I've never lived in a huge city ever so this is a little nerve racking.....I have been looking at The Patriot apts and also Independence Place. They are both a little pricey and when I called Independence they said they only have furnished 1 bd rooms and that they run around $1019/mo because everything is included.....We can't really afford that.....I'm looking for something around $500-$750. Only because we have utilities to pay, gas money, car insurance, phones, and groceries.....and my husband is a Specialist. Any info on safe neighborhoods and not far from post is greatly appreciated.
    bugsmommy13

Comment by bugsmommy13 (original poster) at 2:39 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• We lived in a House for 775/mo, then had to pay utilities all while my DH was a specialist and it was tough, so try going for a place under your BAH. You would be surprised at how many houses you could find for that price range.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:33 AM on Apr. 11, 2011