Elope or have a wedding?

I have been trying to figure out which one I'm going to do. Ok so here's the background.

I am 24 years old and I am a student going for my nursing degree. My df and I have been together for 6 years and we have a 4yr old and a 3month old. He proposed over a year ago. We already have a house and at this point it is important to me to have a great honeymoon instead of going all out for a wedding. I just want to be married. I don't know a lot of people and if we went ahead with the wedding we would invite approximately 50 people and we would budget between $3000-4000. But I feel like that money could go towards our honeymoon and savings, and we could just elope. My family is small and his family is too and I don't really see the point of inviting people that we don't see on a regular basis.

So I had another idea of having just immediate family come to a ceremony in our backyard and having a cook out...

What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Relationships

• Congratulations and kudos for all that both of you have already achieved! Wow your only thing left to do is enjoy each other. Go for what you both want! Enjoy a well deserved vacation. Regrets..........you have nothing to regret you have done all the hard stuff already!

bridegroomJust do it your way and love each other. Congratulations!!!!

rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 4:07 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Do a court house wedding, and have yours and his parents, and your children there and call it a day. Then go on you honeymoon!
    allen.moriahd

Answer by allen.moriahd at 1:29 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My DH and I did almost exactly what allen.moriahd said. Except the honeymoon part. We also plan on renewing our vows in few years when we are more financially stable.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 1:36 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I would save the money and do a courthouse wedding and family gathering or something small then go on a honey moon and enjoy yourselves!
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 1:58 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My husband and I had a backyard wedding. I wore a $100 off-white prom dress and he wore a suit he already owned. The entire thing- all expenses included, cost us around $300, and it was beautiful. It was actually MUCH more beautiful and romantic than my previous big church wedding.
    If having a wedding is not important to either or you, go to the courthouse. If having some kind of wedding is preferred but you want something small, do the backyard wedding.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 2:33 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Just do what you want. Don't like a bunch of people around you barely know? Have a small wedding and invite the ones you know will appreciate it. Mine was tossed.... actually I can't even say it was tossed... more like 'guided' together in 2 weeks. Paid 35 for the license, 50 for the pastor. No dress, no tux, no flowers... few friends... rings we already had on hand... it worked. We're married. Tada. Far from 'dream' wedding - but then again, I never had a dream wedding so... it worked. We're married, we're happy... and we just had an anniversary. :)
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 3:39 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Not really, but I'm not the kind of girl who fantasized about her wedding day since she was little. If we had a wedding, it would have been small, intimate wedding with just family and very close friends. That's probably be what our renewal will be like.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 2:06 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• my son and his girlfriend our planning the same thing out door wedding in my backyard just family it works for after 6yrs i would go for some thing small as well
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 2:30 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I had a courthouse wedding to save money for the fabulous honeymoon. For us, it was the absolute right thing to do, we have no regrets. We laugh about our wedding all the time because even though it was just down at the courthouse, we still had fun and we have good memories of it. The honeymoon we both wanted was incredible. We've been married for 12 years now.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 8:17 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I went to the court house with mine...we didnt care we just knew we wanted to be together!

raeyliNlilysmom

Answer by raeyliNlilysmom at 8:56 AM on Apr. 6, 2011