Do you (or have you) use a menstrual cup?

I'm considering buying one. It seems really practical, not only environmentally, but for our family...we are on a budget.

What I want to know is...are they comfortable? I am a small lady, and I haven't delivered vaginally, so inserted products tend to be cumbersome. Example: I tried Nuvaring, and it wouldn't stay in because it didn't sit in there properly...and it hurt, too.

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 1:53 AM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Health

• I have not used them but have friend that have and it does not matter if you have not delivered vaginally or not From what I have heard they are wonderful yet messy ... they are just not for me
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 1:55 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I had a few friends that used them. Out of the 3 only one had problems.... One had it come out and bled all over a guy
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 1:58 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I use one and I'm only a SM (no kids here.) If they're in right they're comfortable and you can't even feel them, but I've only used it for 2 or 3 cycles and haven't "mastered" it yet. On the days it was in right it was basically pretty awesome. On the days I didn't get it right - not great! You have to wear pads as back up until you figure it out completely.

There's a great site. Look up "livejournal" and "menstrual cups" and it should get you there - can't directly link you because I'm having trouble loading it right now. It has a ton of info from people that use them.

PS I've never had it just "come out" like June Mama mentions. Getting it out is a magical feat that requires some practice and not something I can imagine just....popping or falling out or something.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I have been using them for over a year and I can say I will NEVER go back to tampons. Ever! The cups (once past the learning curve are leak proof, and can last up to 12 hours without emptying and rinsing to reinsert.) I recommend them to everyone I know.
    toykeymama

Answer by toykeymama at 2:16 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Toykeymama.... can you be active in them? I try to imagine crawling around with my kids, or swimming with one inserted, and I worry about leaks.
    brandyj

Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 2:34 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I use the Diva Cup and they do come in two sizes. . . one for smaller women and those who have not had kids vaginally and one for those who have had kids vaginally. I find it very comfortable. And best of all I can exercise and do yoga and it does not leak. I will never use anything else. . . they are the best. GL
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 2:44 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I'm one that has trouble with that kind of thing. lol I didn't even wear tampons until recently(I'm 28) because I couldn't use them because they hurt! My midwife wanted me to try the Nuvaring, but when she heard that I couldn't even use tampons she nixed that idea pretty quick. So I'd be pretty reluctant to try it, especially since I just got the hang of tampons and recently my flow has been SUPER heavy.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:33 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• i haven't tried it, but would like to.
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:16 PM on Apr. 6, 2011