I Crave Dirt and Sand. (Not Pregnant)

Please don't judge me but I am wondering if there is anywhere I can buy some dirt or sand to eat?? I KNOW it's crazy but I cannot stop thinking about it. It's all I dream of eating and I'm not kidding. A little bit wouldn't hurt right? I just don't want to go digging out of potting soil or the ground where other yucky things might be. Someone help!

toykeymama

Asked by toykeymama at 2:08 AM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• Try a good muti-vite with iron.

Kashi makes a cereal called Heart to Heart, sold at Trader Joe's that is really earthy and gritty. Try it. Also, while you are there, but some Superfood or Green Food. It is a supplement, you mix it with water, and the taste may really help your cravings.

get your yearly labs done, and talk to your doc about your cravings.

Good luck!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• sweetie that is a sign of a deficiency.

There is a name for the craving of dirt or clay. It's called Pica - the craving for non-food items. The specific causes of Pica are unknown but it is widely believed to be caused by an iron deficiency.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_would_someone_crave_dirt#ixzz1IipJsvpM

Please try to avoid the cravings and see a doctor. GL
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 2:31 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• You need to find a mental help professional sweetie....u have what they call PICA. Eating dirt or soil can and will eventually kill u.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:11 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• hun you are not crazy. . . in fact many people have these cravings. . . but I would suggest seeing a doctor. . .not mental health professional. . . but doctor. . . if it is a deficiency you need to get treatments. . . GL
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 2:36 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• to satiate the craving have you tried grinding coffee really really fine. . . and chewing the grounds raw? It has a very earthy flavor and ground fine can have the same texture as sand and dirt. . .
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 2:34 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I really think you probably have a mineral deficiency. My recommendation would be to get a good multi-mineral supplement and pill crusher. Crush only the recommended dose and then chew that up. It'll be gritty and bland and you'll get the minerals that I'm sure you need. But try not to take more than what is recommended. I know that it may cause diarrhea if you take too much. And it couldn't hurt to talk to your doctor and maybe get a few tests done. Obviously I'm not meaning a head doctor either but if you were to go to one for a little while maybe they could give you some other tips on how to control these kinds of cravings. Just please take care of you.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 3:30 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Um. Yikes?

Cavewoman instincts? Pica? I don't know. Maybe something with the texture of dirt or sand would help LOL.

Good luck with that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• sugar I guess, then u run the risk of pissing off your dentist, buyt even that can cause u problems,
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:25 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• About the only thing I could thing of would be grits... or maybe grape nuts cereal. Ugh..that stuff always felt like I was chewing dirt when I was a kid, and it's not very flavorful. Good luck. I really would look into seeing a doctor asap for this though, because as other moms have stated already, it can be harmful to consume large quantities of dirt or sand.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 2:42 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Let me know if the grape nuts works. Just curious....
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 3:33 AM on Apr. 6, 2011