Chicken war!

Every Wednesday, one of the dining rooms at my school's campus sells Chik-fil-a's. A while ago, it was blown up in the press that an independent franchise in another state donated food to a homophobic organization. There was a vocal protest that it meant Chik-fil-a was homophobic, too, so they demanded they be removed from the campus because it was perpetuating hate. Then there was a counter protest, and they got the c-f-a back on Wednesdays. Now the anti-c-f-a group is staging another "huge" protest in a few days. If you were back in college, is this where you would focus your civil rights angst?

Maybe I'm biased because they put the new set of signs up while I was watching a guest lecturer speak about PTSD and the alarming rate of suicide and violent crime among returning vets, along with their inability to get VA help for it. After that, the "evil chik-fil-a" theme seemed awfully petty and juvenile to me. Is there something there I'm missing? Are civil rights being trampled because people can buy c-f-a once a week on campus instead of driving a half hour after class? Then again, maybe I'm just biased because the "sponsors" include the student feminists and the student labor movement.

Is this important enough that instead of choosing not to buy it, they should insist on not letting anyone else buy it either?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:39 AM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• That's college students for you, lol. I loved being a student. You THINK you dealing with really serious stuff - I mean this is homophobic chicken or at least it's chicken and that other chicken was homophobic so this chicken must be too! Then you graduate and the real world slaps you. Let them think chicken is important. They have time to face reality later and this is good training for how to stand up when important things happen.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 6:48 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Well, they are learning how to and not to, change hearts and minds. Obviously, there are not a lot of people on campus who are showing the way. Kids are idealistic at this age and they just need something to enlighten us with. I'm glad the urge hasn't completely died out
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 7:48 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• so funny- who better to answer a chicken question than SuperChicken. I love it!! When I was in college I must have been busy studying because I really do not recall anything like this going on anywhere, and I went to 3 different colleges in my lifetime. Anywhoo...seems stupid probably because it is. Too many people with too much time on their hands, surely if they were at Yale- instead of this ridiculousness- sex and sexual harassment would have filled the void, and Chick File A would have been left to sell their wares to those who were not boycotting, or simply put free to choose what they want to buy.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:57 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Well, they are learning how to and not to, change hearts and minds
    --
    Where did I hear this before?
    OH yeah....GWB speaking on Islam....LMAO
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:01 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• i don't know what the students are doing, other than missing out on some darn good chicken, fastf-food-wise, that is. and their milkshakes...MMM MMM GRACIOUS! stupid college kids...they don't know good when its right on their campus.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:16 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Seems pretty petty, but then again so do many young adults (not all). I don't recall ever wanting to limit another person's choice because of my own beliefs, but that could just be the Alzheimer's.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:21 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• The short answer is, yes it's a bit petty. That said, I doubt Chik fil a is all that worried. The students can protest and choose not to eat there. Plenty of their peers will in their place.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 8:51 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Lol, JJB, I even missed that. Too funny.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 8:56 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• It is petty.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• File this under "Foolishness". There has to be something more important in their lives than this. Perhaps they could start doing something to help all those who suffer from the most recent list of horrible disasters.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:38 AM on Apr. 6, 2011