Teeth brushing and toddlers

Hi everyone, my 2 year old toddler is very fussy when it comes to teeth brushing, he lkes to do it himself, and off course that means they are not brushed properly and then when my or his father take over he cries, squeals, kicks, and pretty much refuses, we are persistent though, because i do not at all like the idea of them not getting cleaned right. have you guys got any tips on how to make it a more enjoyable time for him, and maybe tips on getting him to accept the whole brushing teeth routine?

seans_mummy

Asked by seans_mummy at 4:53 AM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my older two kids never had a problem with it, my 2 year old is the same way as yours! .. i have lay him on the floor an hold him down to brush them, an its been that way since i started to do it! i dont know what else to do i asked the dentist about it an he told me that he would eventually start to realize its okay blah blah blah... i dont know how else to make it any better i try to pretend its a game an the toothbrush is a train an such.. only lasts for so long!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 4:57 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• yeah,i have to do it the exact same way, hold him down on the floor. i hate doing it, but i hate the thought of rotten teeth even more.. thanks for posting :) its good to know that i'm not the only one going through it lol
    seans_mummy

Comment by seans_mummy (original poster) at 5:00 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I tell my kids (2 and 3) that they can brush them, but then right after, I am going to give them a quick scrub to make sure all the nasty stuff is out... I also tell them that they can brush again after I do... It always works for me.

Good luck!
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 5:49 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I have the same problem with my 2 year old and it doesn't make it any better, being that he has 3 older siblings that brushes their own teeth:), what I try to do is make a game out of it and sing while I am doing it, make fun sounds of encouragement, all of this!
    nekiwa07

Answer by nekiwa07 at 7:16 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My oldest is like that. What I do is brush my teeth with her and have her copy what I am doing. She does and does a great job. I even taught her to brush her tongue which she thinks is funny and tickles.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 7:52 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I tell my 2 year old son that Mommy brushes first. Then I count for him from 1 to 10 for each side of this mouth. It helps him calm down. He still bites down on the brush sometimes, but he's better about it now than he was at 18 months. Then once I'm done brushing his teeth he plays with the brush in his mouth for a few minutes. He uses a small-head battery powered toothbrush. I would have hesitated at it but he has Sensory Processing Disorder and needs the extra oral stimulation that it gives him. Good luck!
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 11:12 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I don't really have a problem brushing my son's teeth, but occasionally we play around during the brushing. Sometimes we take turns brushing each other's teeth. Mommy does yours, now you do Mommy's. And I alway let him do his own after I am done brushing for him.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 12:49 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Have you tried ...

Letting him brush his teeth first and tell him that after he brushes mom/ dad has to check it over,, "gotta make sure you got it all"

My son is very persistent. he knows he can do things , we let him we just watch over just to make sure he is okay and everything goes ok..

My son has no problem as long as he gets to brush his teeth first . :)
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 3:14 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My son did that for a long time.. We took turns.. I let him "help" me brush my teeth after I brushed his. He thought it was fun and was totally fine with me doing his.
    VBM7287

Answer by VBM7287 at 1:06 AM on Apr. 7, 2011