If you have a strong opinion about something, and others don't, how do you keep under check?

This is my soapbox version: I BELIEVE WOMEN SHOULD STRICTLY BREASTFEED THEIR CHILDREN! Physically, our bodies were made to feed our offspring. It's filled with antibodies that are necessary for good health and fighting off colds and the flu. Women BOND with their children while holding them so close to their bodies. No bottles, no formula, no mess! What could be more perfect than BREASTFEEDING?
When I see women buying bottles and canned formula, it irritates me! My sons are almost all grown up now (22, 19, and 9) but they've hardly EVER been sick! They're healthy, not fat, not skinny, and hardly ever get colds or the flu. Why can't people see the LOGIC in breastfeeding only.
Yes, I know I'll get a few people saying that "maybe they can't produce milk". I understand that, but sales of the fake stuff is too high for just that scenario.
FYI: I breastfed each son for 2 1/2 YEARS, not months. Yes, I did introduce formula later on but they were already drinking juice and water from cups.

Droyal14u

Asked by Droyal14u at 5:44 AM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Unless you get into the issue in a professional capacity, you'll just have to settle for mostly minding your own business. I agree that breast is best, but since I am not a lactation consultant, nurse, pediatrician, etc, that's about the extent to which I can share my thoughts on the subject.

If you're passionate, you can always join breastfeeding help groups and forums online to try to offer your experience and support for moms who may need help and encouragement to continue. That would at least be channeling your opinions in a positive direction as opposed to lecturing someone who has already made the decision to formula feed. Maybe some of these groups could use your info and help:

http://www.cafemom.com/groups/find.php?keyword=breastfeeding+help

vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:51 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I never breastfed... Neither did my mom. And all of our children are healthy as horses. No medical issues, very rarely sick, not chunky or too skinny, smart, and strong as can be.

No one should push their beliefs onto anyone else. EVERYONE is entitled to their own opinion, and everyone should be able to make choices for THEIR children that they feel is best. Sure, you feel strongly about breastfeeding, but there are others who feel just as strongly about bottle feeding. Should they push their beliefs onto you? No.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 5:52 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I think the better question here would be...why do you feel like you need to waste your own energy being irritated by what other people do? Stay in your own yard.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:09 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• To answer your question from a non breastfeeding mom, understand that , that's the glory about life, you have options! I worked a lot, and I didn't feel comfortable breastfeeding so that's the rout I took and it worked for me! My kids weren't sick very ofter, they're healthy today. I see the logic in breastfeeding, but I also see it in buying canned formula. To each his own!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 6:02 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• You learn to keep your nose in your own business. It's not up to you to decide how we feed our children and if you don't like to see the formula in people's carts, well, don't look. Again, it's none of your business. It's great that you are such a fan of BF, but everyone gets to make their own choices in life. It was people of the BF brigade who made me feel like less of a mom (my MIL is one of you people) when I could not BF my own children.  I can tell you without a doubt that FF moms really don't care to hear how great people think BF is, they have made their choice for their own reasons.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:43 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• To answer the original question - I remember that no matter how strongly I feel about something, parenting is full of choices. Just because someone makes a different one than I would have doesn't mean I need to beat them over the head with my 2cts and the soapbox I espouse it from.

In regards BF - I would step back and remember that I have no freakin' clue what's going on in that family. Just seeing a can of formula going in a cart doesn't tell me anything about the health issues involved, how often it's being used, why the family has decided to use it, etc. If I see bottles being bought, I have no idea what's going in them. The mother might be pumping and having a caretaker offer expressed BM while she works. Maybe she's about to start chemotherapy and can't nurse. Maybe she's on antidepressants and isn't comfortable nursing while on them. It's not my place to assume a darn thing and give them the what-for.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:33 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• glad you were happy breast feeding so was my sister. i was not and an unhappy mom makes for a nervous baby. I am hyperactive and could not sit still long enough to properly breast feed so i chose a bottle instead. both girls are happy healthy adults so I refuse to apologise for not wanting to breast feed,

My strong opinion is that if a mom does not want to breast feed she should be allowed the option of using formula with out being made to feel like a bad mom.

mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 7:11 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• what about babies with acid reflux? that is extremely common. my daughter was not able to keep my milk down and had to be on a thick formula. or how about working mothers? should children starve until they come home from work? or should they stay home and not have money for groceries. the baby would have the mothers milk for a while, until she died from malnutrition. there are many scenarios where mothers are not able to breastfeed.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 7:14 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• When I see women buying bottles and canned formula, it irritates me!

Well, the first question is, why are you looking at what other people are buying in the first place?
    The second, how happy would you be to have a complete stranger start screaming at you because something in your cart contains corn syrup, salt, artificial sweeteners or red #40, and then proceeded to scream again because you weren't using coupons to pay for it?

People do a lot of things that may not be "best", but that doesn't make it anyone else's business. If we all insisted on the best for everything, none of us would ever be paired up with anyone to reproduce.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:47 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• As for your question in the title: you mind your own freaking business. How other people feed their kid doesn't harm you in any way so leave them alone.

For the record I formula fed all 5 of my kids by choice. They are 5 of the healthiest kids I've ever known. None of them are overweight. They are all super healthy. The youngest 3 are 8, 5 and 8 months and have never seen a doctor for anything except well visits. The older two are 10 and 9 and have seen the doctor maybe once or twice each for an illness over their entire lives. The last time was in 2009 when my oldest had an ear infection (the first one we had ever dealt with...she was 9). On average they get 3 or so colds a year. Nothing more than stuffy noses and a cough.
    I'm very happy with my choice. I had no interest in breastfeeding. I tried with my first and hated every single second of it so much I wished I'd never had her.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2011