When is fantasy too much?

My 9 year old son loves to pretend that he's a werewolf. His father and I are divorced (2 years separated and 2 more divorced) and I have physical custody, but the father has visitation. At first, I thought he was just acting out. He has been diagnosed with ADHD and does take Concerta once a day for that. However, I really thought he'd have grown out of this werewolf business by now. He's very imaginative; jumping up and down on the furniture, sniffing, growling and the like, but sometimes, I just want my little boy and not the werewolf! When I hit my ceiling and tell him to stop, he does, but he gets so sad. Any help would be appreciated...thanks in advance...:)

Droyal14u

Asked by Droyal14u at 5:49 AM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• It is probably just a phase. Make some rules about being a werewolf. No jumping on furniture. Only on the floor. and when I say enough you stop and be my little boy again. No pouting.

Answer by louise2 at 5:57 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Is he on the Autism spectrum? Have you looked into it? A lot of times kids whom are very hyperactive and display behaviors like the ones your speaking of are Autistic to a small degree and yes, they do tend to grow out of it so to speak. It would explain his behavior though. Try not to get upset with him especially if he's getting sad. His world and yours are not the same and they never will be as he's his own individual and you are yours. No to people are alike in this world. Just be a patient as possible!
    Mrsorr

Answer by Mrsorr at 8:03 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I don't think it has anything to do with the situation of being from a broken home... He probably just is at a phase where he thinks werewolves are cool and just likes to imagine that he's one. I say, just let it run out...Tell him he can be a werewolf outside, but not inside...
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 6:00 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• it would be a good idea to take him to a therapist.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 6:02 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I know it's not a phase, as he's been doing it about 3 years now...doesn't seem like he wants to stop either anytime soon.
    Droyal14u

Comment by Droyal14u (original poster) at 6:02 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Does He do this in school too? If not he knows when he can do it when he can't. I would just have a talk with him. Tell him cut it out.
    If that does not work. Bring him to a therapist.

Answer by louise2 at 6:08 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• maybe it would beneift your son to talk to a counselor.Maybe the werewolf thing is a way to deal with things he doesn't know how to cope with.You should set limits on jumping on the furniture enough to hit the ceiling.but don't punish him for it.Encourage him not to be a werewolf.Reward him when he is not growling.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 3:51 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• He is nine and he stops when you ask (sad or not), really I don't think he is ready for therapy yet. When he starts doing it outside of the house it may become more of a concern, especially if he growls at strangers!
    juliemomx2

Answer by juliemomx2 at 1:03 PM on Apr. 11, 2011