What's your opinion of Shelter people?

When I divorced and lost my job and was evicted several years ago, my son and I ended up in a shelter for a few months. I admit, my opinion of shelter people was of dirty bums and winos, but I couldn't have been further from the truth! When we got there, there were whole families going through the same thing; loss of job, or divorce and it was just sad. The facility was clean, the food was good, the routine was easy. There were classes to take: Parenting, Hygiene, and even classes to help you advance in the workforce.
Admittedly, I'm a much better person for having seen this side of life...It was definitely an interesting time in my life.
Have you ever been in a shelter and what was the circumstance?

Droyal14u

Asked by Droyal14u at 5:55 AM on Apr. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• You've raised a very good point. I haven't really thought about it although when you mentioned shelter, I do think of transient street people before I think of families. That's the image that has mostly been shown to me in media and it has stuck. On the other hand, I volunteered at a shelter for abused women when I was in school and know that they are women of all walks of life who needed to be supported during their transition out of abusive relationships. Time for a rethink on my part.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 6:41 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• my mother and i lived in a women's/children's shelter when i was younger.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 6:00 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I haven't had to live in a shelter, but I volunteer with a shelter service that helps struggling families. They aren't bums and winos.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:10 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My ex-husband and his family were in a shelter for a long time, it is sad but a wonderful resource!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 6:47 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I have never been to a shelter but I know there are famlies and children there. The truth is it is still very hard to make it and it is not easy as some people who never had money issues make it seem.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 6:50 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• When I was little, my family had to go to a shelter. It was my parents, brothers and myself. We went there because our house caught on fire and everything was destroyed. We had nothing and no where to go. The shelter was strict and was not like most shelters. Most of the people were great, but we did find some of the "typical" shelter people. The ones you hear about all the time, the drunks, abusers. This is why I am not as judgemental as my DH.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 8:47 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• That they people there are having issues and need help to get on their feet. I don't judge people that live in shelters because I do NOT know their situation. And they are NOT "shelter people" they are PEOPLE like you and I.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:31 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Rough patch in life needing a helping hand.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 12:08 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My opinion is "rough patch in life needing a helping hand."
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 12:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I lived in a shelter for part of the twelve years of my relationship that was part of his control so when I see people I never say anything because I know how easy it is to lose everything have nothing and have to start all over again.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2011