What am I supposed to teach her before kindergarten and what am I supposed to leave for them?

I'm trying to get my 5 year-old ready to start school but I have NO idea what I am supposed to teach her. I don't want to teach her everything before she starts school and then have her bored and causing trouble but I don't want her left behind and struggling to catch up.... HELP!!

p.s. it's 5am, spelling, grammar and all that fun stuff requires coffee.... which doesn't happen until 7am, forgive me.

zoejains_momma

Asked by zoejains_momma at 6:46 AM on Apr. 6, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• LOL! Thank you. I tend to respond to things around here without the coffee fix or time to type carefully and proofread. Long live typos and the fingers that made them.

To answer the question - does your school district have a web site? What kids should know before entering K varies wildly. In our area, for ex, kids should be able to count to 10, know basic colors and shapes, be able to follow simple 3 step directions with little to no reminding, have self-care skills down pat (bathroom, getting coat on, etc.) and be able to interact with other children, manage minor disputes on their own with peers... All that academic stuff listed thus far? Some kids know. Some don't. Didn't really matter either way once they got into the classroom.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:47 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My dd went to pre k this yr and they gave me a list of everything she needs to learn or will be learning in Kindergarten.

Recites Abc's inorder
    can identify all 26 letters and the sounds they make
    Can count to 25
    Can identify numbers 1-10
    Knows colors
    Knows most shapes
    Knows birthday
    Knows full name (can write first name)
    Can put together a 20 piece puzzle

there are a lot more things on the list but I don't want to write you a book on here lol.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 7:29 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Teach her everything you can! She won't be bored. Write her numbers 1-10, tie shoes, write entire aphabet & be able to recite it. her first & last name plus address and phone number. All colors & basic shapes!
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 6:55 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I am not sure I think every school might be diffrent because the school my dd goes to they don't test before school, but they told me after she started that a lot of kids don't know how but they should be able to do sounds (what the letters sound is) and they should be able to count to 100 to me I think that is crazy. My dd doesn't know how yet though, but they said she has to know by 1st grade. I know they need to know basic colors and shapes. My dd new how to tie her shoe although they didn't say if that was needed. I know they need to know how to write most of there upper case and lower case alphabet. They told me I need to teach her, her address and phone # she said with 20 something kids they don't have time to teach every child those things. She needs to know her first and last name and be able to spell and write her first name.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:35 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I agree with previous answer! I taught my daughter all of the above and then some, she reads now on second level and she is in pre-kindergarten. Teach as much as you can and as much as she can consume, when she starts kindergarten, they probably have programs in place to help her grow academically, once they find that she is above where she might need to be.
    nekiwa07

Answer by nekiwa07 at 7:14 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• She should be able to write her first and last name in upper and lower case. She should have a good understanding of letters. Tell you what letter words start with. Should know all colors and shapes. Can write letters, hold pencil correctly. Count to 100. They will learn to read in kindergarten, so the more she understands letters, the better.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:50 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My son is in kindergarten now, and all the things listed above were a good start, he's tested 2 times a year to see where he is at educationally. I'd start with making sure she knows the very basics then work from there.. ABC's, writing her name, colors, shapes, letter sounds, in the dollar store they sell work books that help get ready for pre-k and k they are good, target has them in the dollar section as well. Since she wont be starting til Sept. you can also do "sight words" with her,, the, in, to it, they, were, when, come, came, mother, father, friend, if, at, here, there, where, etc etc..... she will not get bored at all, they teach alot in fun ways! Good luck.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 8:31 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Teach her everything you can. Anything they do in kindergarten will only reinforce what you have already taught her. Your ultimate goal is for her to be able to read when she gets out of kindergarten. If she spends the whole year learning stuff for the first time, she won't have the skills she needs to read well by the end of the year. Definitely everything that has already been mentioned, you should teach her by the time she starts kindergarten.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:42 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I do, however, want to address the idea that a child that enters advanced won't be bored. Not always true. Personally? I think you're best off focusing on teaching your daughter whatever readiness schools YOUR school requires. Then you offer access to whatever topics or subjects she's showing interest in learning more about. Period.

Let me first say that knowing what I do now, I would not have do anything different. I offered my kids the chance to learn the things they wanted to learn. They both entered K reading fluently and ahead in most subjects. they are still ahead now in 3rd and 1st grade. Both are often bored and when bored, they talk. DS LOVES school he even says "It can be kind of boring because I already know that stuff." His teachers have to find new ways to engage and challenge him. MOST kids that enter K advanced level off by the 3rd grade. Not all do. Most will be fine even if they enter knowing more. Not all.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:54 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My daughter was reading going in to kindergarten and she wasn't bored. There is a lot to learn.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:04 AM on Apr. 6, 2011