Is the Government really trying to fix the public education system? Anyone watched Waiting For Superman(the documentarty)?

Per the documentary, it highlighted the failing public education system in America compared to other developing nations, private schools and some charter schools. Has anyone seen this? Also, if you have or have not, do you believe that the federal government has been and is trying to fix the problem? State your beliefs and reasons for them.

nekiwa07

Asked by nekiwa07 at 7:10 AM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• There is a lot more cuts going on here in California. I don't think the goverment really cares so I am refusing to put my children in public schools. I will take my chances with a charter school and if my son doesn't get chosen then I will pay for a private school.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 7:16 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I totally agree! What do u think should be or could be a possible solution for parents who are not able to afford private school and cannot get into a charter school? is there something the people can do to influence these changes in the public education system to make it better? I've been trying to brainstorm and come up with something, but now working?
    nekiwa07

Comment by nekiwa07 (original poster) at 7:22 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I don't think government has the first clue on how to go about fixing the problem. Our educational system is a socialist one and therein lies the problem. All we ever hear about is the need for more money. Throwing more money at the problem is NOT the answer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:26 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• All the government knows to do is throw limitless amounts of money at the problem WITHOUT actually addressing the problems. I'm a special education teacher, and my hands are tied when it comes to what I'm allowed to teach, the pace at which I'm allowed to teach it, and how I'm to teach it, it get's incredibly frustrating--especially since everyone (but the government) knows that all children do NOT learn at the same pace, or in the same manner as their peers!

Continued

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:46 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Bush's No Child Left Behind bill really hurts educators and students. Instead of teaching to proficiency, we now teach to test--whether the children get the concept(s) or not. Then they're pulled out for interventions to go over what they should have been allowed to digest the first time around!
    LoriKeet

• I haven't seen the movie but have heard good things about it.

IMO, the government is trying to run education just like it is trying to run government.  It doesn't work.  We spend more money per child and kids aren't getting smarter.  They are losing quality in education.  School has mostly become about funding and not educating our children.  The teachers are caught in the middle and it seems that their hands are tied by government bureaucracy.  They end up having to teach kids to test, it becomes less about the content and more about what the kids can retain for testing.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:53 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I really hate how they teach to the test. I worked for a company as a tutor and we were contracted through a grant by the NCLB. The solution they had for students failing was to send them to us. I did more teaching of basic skills, and going over things the teachers should have been doing than the teachers did. The teachers did feel bad (the ones I talked to) because they knew they could not spend time on a subject with a child and still be on time (teaching to the test).
    They need to do away with the tests altogether, unless they plan to use them just as they were meant for (a guide to see where things are).

Answer by gemgem at 7:53 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I didn't see the movie, but I want to. Is it all up to the feds? Aren't parents part of the problem? What about bad teachers on tenure? If states can allow bad teachers to stick around, will the problem ever be fixed??
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 8:08 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Welcome Nekiwah
    Whenever you put the Government into something, the costs go up and the effectiveness goes down.
    Getting rid of the Dept of Education would be a great place for Rep Ryan to start some budget cuts.
    There has been a recent ruling about school vouchers for religious schools, so maybe things are getting better or heading in the right direction, as long as the government doesn't then come in and tax the benefit.
    Until you can get a representative in your locality that throws votes in favor of vouchers, your best bet may be to supplement your child's education at home after school and throughout the summer, to replace what they might be missing. GL
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:09 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I whole heartedly agree that NCLB is shooting children's educations in the foot. Inclusive classrooms look good on paper, however you now run into the issue of forcing teachers who are not trained in special education to be special educators. NCLB in a sense tried to put children on a level playing field when there in fact cannot be. My sons are on the spectrum, classic ASD, there's no way they can keep up in certain areas with a neurotypical class and there's no way they'll stay patient enough to let the rest of the class catch up with them. As a military family charter and private schools are out the window so we homeschool.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 10:13 AM on Apr. 6, 2011