Can you eat a phone!?? adult content

ok. Maybe I'm missing something. After all my dh is the one who completely handles our finances and purchases in our house hold. What do I know?

Dh just shared with me that we qualify for a free cell phone thanks to the goverment.

Apparently, because our kids are on medicaid we qualify. Why does this tick me off? We don't qualify for food stamps. We need to eat. We don't need a dam phone. Ok, the phone is a good thing, I admit, you need to have one for emergency's and such.

But dang it. We can't eat a phone. Why can we have a phone but we don't qualify for help in any other way, especially with food. Why can't I have $50 worth of food instead?

Don't get me wrong. I'm very thankful for the phone. Maybe it's me. Maybe I'm insane. Who knows?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• I know what you mean. My kids aren't on medicade now since they found out dh has it through his work (100.00 a week), but when we tried to get food stamps when we had it along with wic (which we don't get anymore either) they said dh made 100 to much.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:20 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• i heard something about free phones once
    but i thought it was just for emergencies and could not use for any other reason
    like 911 only
    ?
    maybe i misread or misheard about this

no, you can not eat a phone
    BUT you
    can not call 911 on a banana
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:21 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My ex SIL was getting 240 dollars a week in unemployment, living with his Mom plus getting Food stamps...(I know crazy) he got the safelink phone through the gov and gets about 100 or mins a month.
    justalady774

Answer by justalady774 at 8:25 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• The phone is also useful when applying for jobs, the prospective employer has a way to reach the applicant.

Answer by Bmat at 8:36 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Yeah, that's crazy! We don't get a free phone, but we also make $100 too much for food stamps! my Ex in laws get the free phone and can call anyone, anytime and text also!
    shareleann

Answer by shareleann at 8:38 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• They consider the phone a necessity because you need to be able to take/make calls for jobs, Dr. appointments, and things like that.
    The reason the income guidelines are higher is because Tracphone donates the phones and the free minutes given each month from what I have heard so the only cost to the government is running the program. You get a very basic model phone, it has no bells or whistles but it is very handy. I use our when I have to take my DD to her many specialist appointments which are 60+ miles from where we live and for when her Dr.s admit her into the hospital so that I can call my husband and let him know what is going on.
    LadySaphira

Answer by LadySaphira at 8:41 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I once saw Cookie Monster eat a phone... but I agree. I once had to leave a perfectly great job just because they wouldn't allow us any daycare assistance but gave us food stamps instead.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 9:28 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Yes, it is crazy! They get texting too! My friend just got out of jail, and they e her a smart phone with unlimited texting. I dont get it
    KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 11:48 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I think its a bit much to get a free phone, if you cant afford one dont have one!
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 2:04 PM on Apr. 6, 2011