What is wrong with 6 year old.

she will be 6 in 2 weeks, but last month she was sick she missed a whole week (5 days) of school. She woke up throwing up the one day then the next day she was throwing up, but couldn't talk (she had no voice) then the next day she had a really bad cough and said it hurt to swollow so we took her to the doctor which they said it wasn't strep throat and her ears looksed fine. The next day she woke me up early in the morning crying saying her ear hurt I called to make her an appointment, but her doctor was all booked up so we had to see another doctor there he said she had a little red ear, but not enough for antibiotcs. He says it it seemed worse to call and he will give her something. She was crying it hurt and he didn't give her anything. The next day she was crying again so I called which they finally got back to me the next day and gave her antibiotics. Well she still has a cough. She missed Monday this week cause she had a fever. She went to school yesterday, but now today her belly hurts so I called her off and she was crying last night cause her ear hurt. She woke up this morning crying her ear was hurting. Luckly I have this one stuff that was given to her over the summer (she had a really bad ear infection) it numbs the ear so I gave her some of that. But she is home from school again today so she has missed since last month 7 days of school. I am waiting for the doctors office to open in 15 minutes to give them a call, but I am worried. My mom also keeps trying to tell me that if she misses a lot of school they will can have childrens services at my house. But what am I supose to do send her to school sick then get a call to pick her up? Which dh would have to leave work to go get her from school since I don't drive.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Apr. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• If your instinct tells you that she's really sick, and not just trying to stay home, then trust yourself and be persistent with the Dr. Call the school and be very blunt about the situation, tell them that you don't know what's wrong with her, but that you are actively trying to find out and that you don't want to risk giving a possible virus to others. Ask that they send any work she misses home, and talk to her teacher to see what you can work with her on at home to keep her from falling behind. You might want to consider asking for a referral to an ENT (ear nose & throat) Dr.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 8:23 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• You might want to get a second opinion from another doctor if you are not getting the help you need. Ask a lot of questions and explain completely what is happening.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:27 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• You arent going to get in trouble with cps unless your dd is not sick, and obviously she has not been feeling well. Your calls to the doctor and doctor visits are proof of that. Every time you go in just make sure to get a doctors note showing you went in and give that to the school. My dd is also 6 and had the flu in Feb and missed 11 days. I was worried about cps, but the school told me it wasnt a problem since she was so sick.
    As for your dd it is probably time for a second opinion from a different doctors office altogether. Take her to the ER or Urgent care and see what they can come up with. The ER can run blood tests right there and make sure it is not a bacterial infection or something else. If it is nothing it is entirely possible she has figured out exagerrating being sick means she gets to stay home.

Answer by gemgem at 8:28 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I know she doesn't feel good. She loves school and she actually wont tell me at first. She will lay on the couch and that is how I knwo something is wrong and she has like a whin in her voice. I ask her what is wrong she says nothing. So I take her temp and she will have a fever and then she still will tell me nothing is wrong then when I send her back to bed and then go check on her she will tell me he belly hurts. She loves school so I know she isn't feeling good. I joked with her before about taking her out of school I didn't want her to go anymore and she was almost in tears saying no I want to go to school. I was like I am just kidding lol. So she does love school.

I called the dr and I am getting her in with her dr so maybe she will do something. She usually does that is why I rather see her, but she isn't always available last minute.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:46 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I donto tHE ER if i can help it becse we owe the hospitals so much money. I had a problom after having my second dd that I was in the ER about 6 times. My youngest dd has been in the ER so much the recent one was because she fell and had to get stitches in her eye (she is 3) and then she had to go for tests when she was under a year old she was sick and here to find out she had rotavirus plus having surgery on her eye she had 2 clogged tear ducts. Then I have taken my oldest the one who is sick for an ear infection over the summer then one time she was 3 and fell down the steps so bad to get staples in the back of her head and then once she got this really big baseball size welt on her arm and was freaking not sure what it was and here it was a reaction to a shot she had for kindergarden so I owe the hospitals to much money.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:51 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• the hospitals cant refuse you if its for the er. they have to see you no matter what! what could have happened is the antibiotics for the ear infection wasnt strong enough to kill off the infection. my ds had ear infections for 6 months soild when he was little because they couldnt find the correct combo of antibiotics to get rid of it
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 10:21 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I know they can't refuse you, but I rather take her to her doctor if I can because I owe them sooo much money and now they are wanting to garnish us so dh is making 100 a month payments to them that we hardly can afford.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:28 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• well try the er if ur doc cant figure it out might b cheaper in the long run to find out then to keep trying and as far as cps it doesnt work like that if shes not usually a school skipper and u have doctor documentation they wont get involved for missed school and if the schoool believes shes really sick there not even gonna call
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 11:50 AM on Apr. 6, 2011