If i gave you 20 dollars to feed a family of 8, what would you make?

Mrs_Harsh

Asked by Mrs_Harsh at 8:31 AM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I would roast some chicken (my grocery has whole chickens for $0.89/pound - and for two chickens at about 4 lbs each, that would come to $7.12. Potatoes - probably need about 10 pounds (although that'll leave leftovers) - say another $6 (up to $13.12). Add three pounds of roasted asparagus ($1.49 per pound this week - $4.47 brings our total to $17.59). Whip up a boxed cake (on sale for $0.99 - current total $18.58) and add a little for the olive oil, salt & pepper, milk, butter and powdered sugar (for the frosting) and I think that brings us up to about $20. If it were over, I could skip the frosting on the cake and just dust it with powdered sugar.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 9:03 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Chicken and rice! oh my that stuff is so good.. $20 bucks could make two meals for 8 people easy!!
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 8:51 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Bean soup with some ham bits, whole wheat rolls, green salad, canned peaches for dessert.

Answer by Bmat at 8:34 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Chicken Enchiladas and rice

Answer by gemgem at 8:34 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Spaghetti and meat balls with salad and garlic bread.

Answer by older at 8:39 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• It would most likely be noodle based (lasagna, alfredo, cheesy noodles or spaghetti), if I had to spread it out over a few meals I would use ramen noodles. Frozen chicken is the cheapest meat I can find so I would grill that and put it on top of alfredo or cheesy noodles. I would look to canned veggies for mixers and side dishes. I would make an appetizer of garlic bread, soup or biscuits and a desert of 10 for 10 cake and frosting, jello or get the cookie dough from the refrigerated section for cookies.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 9:12 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I would roast a couple of whole chickens, make mashed potoatoes with pan gravy and green beans for dinner, maybe even some homemade rolls if I were feeling ambitious that day. The next day I would use our leftover chicken to make homemade soup and feed that 8 people for 2 days on the $20.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:37 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• ya'll made me hungry and it's only 845 am. :) I buy a bag of frozen chicken breast for around 6 usually has 8-10 pieces. mac-n-cheese (homemade) and a veggie and salad......

sounds like everyone agrees chicken and pastas are the cheaper versions of a meal
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 9:44 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Homade chicken noodle soup with onion rolls
    Ganell87

Answer by Ganell87 at 9:44 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Spaghetti with meat sauce, garlic bread, salad, ice cream for dessert! All inexpensive and goes far! I would use different pasta shapes depending on ages of kids.

Macaroni and cheese with ham chunks with salad and cornbread.

Shepard's Pie with green beans and dinner rolls.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:57 AM on Apr. 6, 2011