What is your usual morning routine with the kids?

just wondering what everyone likes to do with the kids in the morning before school? i am asking b/c i don't usually let my kids watch cartoons b/c they get distracted way to easily.

amberpaiz

Asked by amberpaiz at 8:50 AM on Apr. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• My kids are 5 and 2. On mornings I worked (on maternity leave now), I would wake up at 6, start my hair...then nudge LP to get him to wake the girls up at 6:15. While he is waking them up, I will set up breakfast. Get them to the table, get them started, and finish my hair and make up. At 6:30, I bring them out their outfits and LP get them dressed. We pack our bags for the day, I will eat something and have a cup of coffee, and we are out the door around 6:50 or 7am.

I'm REALLY not as structured now that I"m off work. We will wake up when the kids wake up, let them watch a cartoon while I work up the energy to wake up...then it is breakfast in our PJs together, and I will start school work with them. I homeschool, so we start that as soon as we are dressed, where before it had to be after I was out of work.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:12 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• We usually put the TV on for one show..so I am up at 6:00 with my middle child and we watch the news, he leaves at 6:45 with DH..my youngest is usually up by the time they leave and she eats breakfast and gets dressed while watching one TV show. Sometime between 7:00 and 7:40 my oldest gets up. While I am bringing DD to school my oldest gets ready for school. He is 14 and pretty much on his own in the morning. When I get back from bringing DD I leave to bring my oldest to school.

Since we usually have a busy morning there isn't much time for doing anything but getting ready for school.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:53 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• tv is NOT allowed on in the mornings here.

I wake each kid by laying and cuddling them.
    9 yr old & 16 yr old @ 6:30
    9 yr old eats breakfast and then gets ready.... 16 yr old just gets ready and grabs food on the way out
    14 yr old @ 7
    They all get read on their own, make their beds, and I drive them to school
    16 yr @ 7:20, 9 yr old @ 7:40, 14 yr old @ 8
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My hubby and I get up at 5am (he has to be at work at 7). We pray/read the bible before the kids get up, shower, I start cooking breakfast at 6 and dh gets the kids up at 6:15. We pray and then eat. At 6:30ish I brush the kids teeth, fix their hair and get them dressed. My oldest is the only one is school and she is in pre k. Hubby leaves for work at 7 and I take the kids with me to drop dd off at school by 8am. Then I do some errands and come home til 12:30 when I go pick dd up from school. We don't watch cartoons in the moring either :)
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 8:54 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• We get up around 6:30. Usually my 6 yr old is up a few minutes before me and yes she will put on cartoon, but I dont think its the end of the world. I get up, get dressed myself, start the coffee, and check to make sure my 17 yr old is up (usually he is). I get my dd dressed, pack her snack, throw on her jacket after her hairs combed, teeth brushed etc and take her to school. If my 17 yr old is ready he goes with us, if not I drop her off, then swing back by and get him.

Answer by gemgem at 8:56 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My mom has that problem with my youngest sister. She still does it and sits there glued to the tv. My boys are too young to go to school but everytime we have a long day planned or a appointment to go to (always in the mornings I hate afternoon appt.) I have my older son help get the baby dressed and help gather things for the diaperbag. He also helps turn out the lights and turn off the tv for me when we leave.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 8:59 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I have a 2 year old. We get up around 8ish, sometimes a little earlier.
    I get her some juice, she wants to watch cartoons, which is fine by me.
    I make her breakfast when she wants something to eat. We'll watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.
    I get ready and we hit the gym by 11:00.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 9:02 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• thanks for the info i was just making sure i wasn't being harsh by not letting them watch it my kids are 8,7 6 and 5 and get ready pretty good for the most part it's usually the girls that take the longest b/c we pick out what they are gonna wear the night before and they sometimes throw a fit that they changed their minds and pull everything out of their drawers. But for the most part they usually have about 10-15 minuites before heading out to the bus and i usually take that time to talk with them and spend time with them before heading off to school it just seems that lately they have been begging to watch t.v and i don't want to promote that. Especially with the weather getting warmer i don;t want them to get into the habit of wanting to watch t.v and not be outside or using their imagination
    amberpaiz

Comment by amberpaiz (original poster) at 9:07 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• well my kids get up in enuff time to get ready and leave so that is all they do they have to b on bus so early
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 11:28 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Up at 6:30, they get dressed, eat, brush teeth, and are out to the bus by 7:20. No time for TV, and if I do turn it on the news is usually on so we can see what the weather's going to do. It's pretty calm around here, they all know the routine so no problems.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:30 AM on Apr. 6, 2011